Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm in the process of building my 1980 CB750f sport-tourer. Looking for some more or less "period looking" hard luggage. They made luggage for the CBX that looks similar to GL500 luggage...but it's hard to find and usually fairly expensive, and more than that, I am concerned that maybe it isn't big enough.

But, I am considering using GL500 luggage just the same, so I was wondering if someone could tell me dimensions, so I can get a better idea? I am also interested in how they mount, maybe someone has a picture of the backside of one?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
860 Posts
Ryan - the bags are smallish, about 530cm long x 340cm high x 190 cm deep in the largest dimension. Somewhere around 23.3 cu/L, less than a cubic foot each. They are useful though.

On the pic - the bags hang and are positioned by the (red) hanger and tabs, inserted into a part of the metal mounting frame attached to the bike by the rubber covered (green) tang and by the folding arm that goes into a seatbelt type latch (blue) near the rear footpeg. You would likely need the mounting frame and modify it for your bike. No idea what would be involved or if it's possible. Take that back, I quess anything is possible with the right tools and fabrication skills.

I can get a pic of the bike framework if you want.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You could always Photoshop some BMW/Krauser bags onto a pic of your bike to see what those would look like. The Krausers are the right age, if not a factory option. They might look pretty good, and may be easier to find.

·
Registered
377 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Just about any saddlebag you can afford will bolt up with the right bracket. I don't seem to have a picture of the honda cx500 bracket but it's similar to a vetter.

It would have strips of metal across the rear rectangular piece with holes in them to bolt the bags on. Then anything will fit.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Here's a picture of what you want. It is rare to even find them so you would probably want to make them yourself or have someone else do it. Looks like matt took a picture of the brackets before he sold them to me.

They connect to the passenger pegs, shock mount, and the rear most section of the cx frame that holds the fender.

This set is for a deluxe or standard. The only difference is that the shock point mount is in a different location.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts