Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How lucky is this;

Today i am riding the GL650 to see some Craigslist bikes when i decude to run by the garage and swap for the Yamaha... I crashed.

Funny for a few weeks i kept hearing this lady's voice saying "don't move the ambulance is on the way." it was eerie and creeping me out it was so real, so today while laying under the bike in the intersection i get to hear her voice say exactly that.

I was making a left hand turn when a guy who was pan handling in the median bolted out in front of me. Instinct grabed the brakes and down i went. I ride corners fast on that bike, it's quite fun how quick she can make low speed turns. I'm often on the throttle with my leg up like dirt riding.

So they pull the bike off me and i am checking in with all the body parts; wrists hit hard, shoulder hit hard, head ... had the weird childhood flavor fill my mouth and that strange head injury scent in my sinuses, leg was twisted under the bike pretty good so i am afraid to connect to my toes but all be darned i can move 'em. I begin moving my fingers lightly and seeing if my back with move and it will.

The officer is above me asking questions like "who is president?" "do you know what year it is?" and i begin to laugh and say "oh my gosh i think i'm ok."

They all keep telling me not to move lol but eventually i sit up and am delighted to share my suspicion that nothing is broken. "It's a miracle but i don't think anything broke. lol"

Well the bike is a bit bruised so i thank her and the emt and police and witness who helped gather the stuff that spilled out.

I am in bed because i know from experience that adreneline can hide injuries, so i am taking it easy...sorta like i always do lol. I learned that homeless people are as guilty of not paying attention as drivers. Tha riding the Yamaha like i stole it is risky...and ever so fun, that the front brake has little use in a full turn lean (oddly i was not aware of this even after many years of riding), and something else...

oh yeah; i didn't once regret wearing so much gear! Ha! I always wear motorcross knee and shin pads ( they saved my knee that hit hard and didn't even tear my leather pants!) and 2 pairs of gloves, leather pants, and 2 leather coats, and helmet. I planned to crash one day, and i was prepared.

I could hardly wait to share the experience with my forum friends here :)

Safe riding out there friends.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Well, if the words lucky and crash can be in the same sentence, it seems you pulled it off. Glad that you didn't seem to break anything, lose lots of skin, or otherwise ruin the day. A bruised bike can be repaired, and gear replaced. The body not so much. Go easy on that left leg, you never know how the knee/ankle will handle being at weird angles.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Fairing, engine guard and hard cases absorb the damage? Hope you can at least salvage the GL, make it a naked maybe? Good description of the spill, but best to have that concussion checked out tomorrow by your doctor, don't under-estimate what might be going on in there.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thanks for being ok and able to detail the incident with good spirit. Rest.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Glad you are ok Carytowncat, hope the bike damage is not too bad. Excuse my English ignorance but what the hell is a pan handler ?

·
Super Moderator
3,919 Posts
This " I ride corners fast on that bike, it's quite fun how quick she can make low speed turns. I'm often on the throttle with my leg up like dirt riding." and this "That riding the Yamaha like i stole it is risky...and ever so fun, that the front brake has little use in a full turn lean (oddly i was not aware of this even after many years of riding), and something else..." suggest that he was on the Yamaha XT225.

·
Registered
383 Posts
This... "suggest"
You can read it either way and he doesn't say... It is vague

"Today i am riding the GL650... when i decude to run by the garage and swap for the Yamaha... I crashed."

So I ask, crashed on the way to swap or after swapping?

Stuff that spilled out, alludes to the Silverwing, in my mind... having an Interstate model...

Handling could allude to the Yamaha...

Anyway, glad it was minor and not much injury involved...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
What a great group here:) The GL is home safely, on the way I stopped and traded for the Yamaha. I was riding the Yamaha xt225. I'm a bit sore today, and I was uneasy riding but I suspect my lesson was well learned. I rode to Honda house and they examined my helmet for and damage, and i bought a new shield. My shoulder broke my helmet's fall lol Still grateful I am alive.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Glad you are OK, well and alive enough to share the story ! and that time will heal all the bruises .
Yes , all of us like to use only some Gillette foam and blades , for a close shave,
rather than to go through what happend to you, Carytowncat .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts