Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a CX650 that needs to be lowered for me to ride comfortably. My goal is to put the shortest shocks possible on the rear and then rake the front until the bike is level. I am 5'4" tall and want to keep the stock seat and look of the bike. Do not mind a harder ride, but don't like the look of struts. Does anyone know what size shocks would fit? There looks to be about 4 inches from tire to rear fender for shock travel. Thanks for your help.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Several people have used 11 inch shocks.

You could also buy some shocks and cut the spring down a bit. That would get them closer to the ground.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
It changes everything. And if he rakes the frame that's going to play with the track and trail. It's easier to slide up the fork tubes and adjust the shocks down so it doesn't change the geometry of the bike.

·
Registered
256 Posts
It changes everything. And if he rakes the frame that's going to play with the track and trail. It's easier to slide up the fork tubes and adjust the shocks down so it doesn't change the geometry of the bike.

I've wondered if there are also any side effects on the driveshaft linkage? A stock bike was meant to operate with the shaft moving within a specific range right? So would lowering the rear of the bike accelerate the wear and tear on that linkage?

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I would think that the maximum angle that the swing arm should sit is relative to the angle that the bike sits at under a 100 pound load with the shocks at maximum preload. If you exceed that on the up swing than anything is possible.

The drive shaft isn't meant to be used around corners.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a CX650 that needs to be lowered for me to ride comfortably. My goal is to put the shortest shocks possible on the rear and then rake the front until the bike is level. I am 5'4" tall and want to keep the stock seat and look of the bike. Do not mind a harder ride, but don't like the look of struts. Does anyone know what size shocks would fit? There looks to be about 4 inches from tire to rear fender for shock travel. Thanks for your help.

Side car Jack,

I just put a set of 10" rigid struts on my bike at that left exactly 3/4 of an inch gap between the tire and the fender of my CX500 Custom. I am not sure of the difference in suspension between the 500 and 650 but I suggest you just take some simple measurements and get some 10" springs. They all you will have to do is simply drill out the ends of the shocks to fit on your 650 (the ends of my CX 500 were 5/8). Good luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sportster shocks will work well and lickscycles.com has ten inch shocks for around two hundred bucks. Cutting the existing springs down will work but you have to make sure they are welded solidly or you will deal with the spring not returning properly and/or over extension. I did it to my sportster shocks and ended up buying new anyway. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.