Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After putting on 11" shocks and lowering the front until the tubes touched bottom of handle bars I am now having trouble with my front brakes. After coming to a stop after using the front brake the brake does not want to release, it is not "hard locked" but is obviously still gripping.. It soon does release but not on its own and not until I begin to accelerate. There are no pinched lines that I can see ( bike has a fairing) and the resevior seems to have the right level. I am new at this, have pretty good mechanical ability/sense but no brake knowledge or experiece. Suggestions??

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Interesting that it should start right after you did the lowering. I'm guessing they may be related. Sometimes it doesn't take much of new bend in a 30 year old line to close it off. It may work when applying the brakes, because you have lots of pressure forcing the fluid through. But on release, there is essentially no reverse pressure available to push fluid past an obstruction.

One test would be to raise the front wheel and apply the brakes. If you can't spin the wheel when the brakes are released, crack open the bleeder valve. If fluid comes out under some pressure and the wheel will now spin, you have an obstruction in the lines, or in the return hole in the reservoir is blocked.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
A plus one on what Blue Fox said.....

It all seems to add up to more than a coincidence....you lower the front and you now have a front brake issue ? I'd as well say you have kinked or bent your front brake hose a tad too much and the fluid is not flowing "back" properly into the M/C when you release the lever.

OR I think another possibility if you removed the bars or moved them around when you were adjusting the forks you possibly introduced air into the line as maybe you tipped the M/C to the side and the M/C was not totally full and there was enough empty space inside the M/C to allow some air to get into the line.....in that case try a simple bleed first.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advise. I have the factory manual and would like to go over the brake system to make sure everything is the way it should be. The bike is 30 years old and I just recently go it. I really don't know it's maintenance history.Any suggestions on where to start or steps to take in restoring the front brake system of my 79 500CX Custom is appreciated. Also any pitfalls or common mistakes I should watch out for?

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Well seeing as you're from Cleveland I'd say the biggest "pitfall" or "trap" you can fall into was to think the Indians would play at the level they WERE playing at early on in the season all season long.......

Seriously though :

On the front brake question. If you want to totally be sure you have an effective working front brake then:

1. Caliper rebuild kit to rebuild the caliper

2. New pads

3. New brake line

4. New master cylinder (is not anymore expensive than a rebuild kit)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well seeing as you're from Cleveland I'd say the biggest "pitfall" or "trap" you can fall into was to think the Indians would play at the level they WERE playing at early on in the season all season long.......

Seriously though :

On the front brake question. If you want to totally be sure you have an effective working front brake then:

1. Caliper rebuild kit to rebuild the caliper

2. New pads

3. New brake line

4. New master cylinder (is not anymore expensive than a rebuild kit)

The Indians, so you noticed. Unfortunately the unusual part was the winning. Thanks for all you help, you are great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts