Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Adam312
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
accidentally found several pics the cx500 in stock with swapped the lower fairing from Gl Interstate (so i was thinking first time) , i like this idea and I bought the full lower fairings by gl700i and waiting the shipping to me.

but i found that this lower fairing on cx500 at upper end only, has another form - bending to the bike side, and i can't find from what the Honda they taken.

can you say me guys?

Thanks in advice.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I have the ones on the left (gl650/500) think the ones on the right CX500 are off some thing different as the CX never had a Hondaline fairing to my knowledge. later model gold wing perhaps??

·
Adam312
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
before as i posted it I looked at all Gl goldwings with fairings - they are completely different.
also searched at cb400 cb750 vf750 ,and nothing has similarities as lower fairing of the gl650/500/700 .

I haven't more idea.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I would suspect that the right photo is of aftermarket lowers. Notice how they fit the engine guards and seem to be bolted to the guard. They also seem to be designed to fit around the exhaust header.

·
Adam312
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I would suspect that the right photo is of aftermarket lowers. Notice how they fit the engine guards and seem to be bolted to the guard. They also seem to be designed to fit around the exhaust header.
I tryed to find the aftermarket fairing but not found nothing.
So I was almost sure that they is from interstate and was redesigned by thermofan for cx500 - to fit around the exhaust header as you said.
and after I reviewed this an pic again and it looks like on cx500 the fairing has straight lines everywhere then on Gl..

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I think that you are correct in thinking that the lower is in fact from a GL500I and has been modified to fit on the CX500 with engine guards by cutting and bending.

·
Adam312
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
In any case these thoughts yielded for me useful results. I want use fully lower fairing of gl700 on gl400 with the main fairing by Yamaha "pre-diversion" , and i hope will be possible to bending them to connection together will help me the "thermofan"

·
Registered
627 Posts
I agree that it is most likely a customized winter lower from a gl interstate. I doubt it was bent into shape as fiberglass doesn’t really do that but probably fiberglass work was done to customize it. It actually looks pretty good!

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I agree that it is most likely a customized winter lower from a gl interstate. I doubt it was bent into shape as fiberglass doesn’t really do that but probably fiberglass work was done to customize it. It actually looks pretty good!
AFAIK the lowers are ABS, or some similar plastic, not fiberglass so could be bent with heat

·
Super Moderator
13,491 Posts
Perhaps the owner rides on muddy roads and wants splash protection. Leg shields were a common accessory long before fairings were common; In fact, I have them on my GoldWing without a fairing (but with a windshield).

With the difference in shape at the top it looks to me like someone may have taken moulds from GL500 lowers and modified them for use on the CX. Or may even have modified a set of GL lowers (ABS can be welded with acetone).

·
Adam312
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
as i told I planning swap the lowers with upper fairing by yamaha pre-diversion, but without fairing as on cx500 also like me because it is just looking good and easy.. and maybe giving protect in bad weather.

on the pic a photoshop

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Silverwing and Goldwing fairings are the same from '81 through '83. Beginning in '84 they are different. The fairings were a factory option for the CX models that could be ordered from the dealers. I don't know if the mounting system is the same for the CX500s or not, but the 650s were a slightly wider engine and they require a different mounting system than the 500s.

The lowers pictured here are not stock, but may be Goldwing lowers or aftermarket winter lowers that were sold as an option.

·
Super Moderator
13,491 Posts
1) Those are not remotely like any GoldWing lowers.
2) The fairings that came on GL1100s, GL500s and GL650s are interchangeable. The GL650 "cowl stay" (fairing bracket) is the same as the GL500 one except for the vertical distance between the mounting holes. There is no difference in the horizontal distances between the holes.
I know this because I used aGL1100 fairing on a GL650 bracket on my GL500 for years after using a file to make the holes oval, then used it on a 650 and now on a 500 again.

Someone posted pics of a CX500 with dealer installed fairing here a few years ago. The bracket was somewhat different from those used on the GL500/650; Among other things, the CX500 frame does not have the hole for the bolt that attaches the mounting point under the tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts