Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been bugging me for some time now, and I need to know what you folks think.

Symptom.

Upon first ride of day, usually during the warm up leaving for work on a slow street (no more than 30 mph) I notice a slight front end wobble/ shake. It doesn't seem to last very long, and never seems obvious at higher speeds, or in corners. The same is noticeable after I get on it after the work day, but it is not as pronounced. It never seems to last much more than maybe a few miles. I can traverse the same speed after a bit of time riding and not feel a thing.

History.

I have not ever done anything to the steering bearings, which are on my list someday. I have replaced the fork tubes *not the sliders*, but the symptom was there before that. I have had the brakes done recently, but the symptom was there before that. I have not checked the run-out of the wheel, on my list to do. Tires are new as of last spring, less than 1,000 miles.

Questions.

Is there a way to true a Comstar if it is out of round?

Would one of my local guys be willing to help me out replacing the steering bearings?

Thanks.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
As above, I'd start with the easy check and see what your tire pressures are.  Also maybe just double check that the front axle is installed correctly and tight.  After that move on to the steering head bearings.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ha ha on the coffee, but that's not it. If I keep a light grip on the handlebars, the wobble is very prominent. The tire pressure is a good thought, as it does go away after a bit. It may be I have a bent axle. I'll consider getting a new one to see if swapping that helps.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I would check the wheel and maybe balance it as well. Also check your wheel bearings...and axle run out, rim for true etc...

get someone to sit on the back of the bike on the centrestand and just spin the front when it's off the ground - it could be readily noticable,

last thought could possibly be a bent frame

·
Registered
152 Posts
Take a close look at the front tire. Check for wear and very slight cupping. Mine has the same low speed wobble when first starting out on cold tires and it's more noticable when decelerating. It gets this way everytime I get near 20k miles on the front tire. New tire and it's gone for another 20k or so.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Had a low speed wobble, some times a little hairy, Found out it was tire pressure was too high!

Go figure. Any way I threw away that pressure gage and got a new one.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Could you maybe take the tire/bike to the place you bought it and had it mounted? You might just have a bad tire, it happens. That is certainly not giving you any confidence, nor does it sound safe. Check the tire pressure, if that seems ok, go back to the shop. My $0.02

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.