Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was riding around on maybe third gear at roughly 25 miles per hour with around 5000 rpms when suddenly I heard a pop noise and my rpms quickly dropped and I had to pull over. I turned the key off then back on but nothing was turning on at all. All the power had been cut so I assumed a fuse had blown. I checked both the fuses between the handle bars and the fuse directly connected to the battery but they were all fine. Also there was no smoke or anything coming off the bike when I pulled over to check it out. Very confused and don't know what else to check.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Sounds like an electrical problem at least, which you will need to solve to see if anything else is bad. To do this properly, you WILL need a meter, otherwise you will just be wasting your time. You will need to "validate" that the main fuse is OK (they can look fine and be crap, most people switch then out with auto blade style fuses). From there you will need to find out "what" the pop was by looking for where the power dies.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
What model and year is the bike? It's important. Main fuse is a likely culprit. An intermittent electrical "open" can cut and restore ignition on a later model TI bike and cause a backfire before opening for good. Just a thought. How do you know there is no power? No horn, headlight etc? Could also be an open in the ignition circuit or key sw or kill sw, if it's a TI bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1979 CX500, basically nothing happens at all when i turn the key. I don't know too much about motorcycles so be careful with some of the terms you use. Im sorry for being difficult

·
Registered
24,186 Posts
if we have to be careful with standard mechanical terms

you need to go download the manual and go thru the trouble shooting section your main use near the stater solenoid is fried

learn some basics or find some mechanical help

you cant expect us to provide everything you have to do some of the work so get reading and diagnosing

this is basically your problem

CX500 GL500 650 Global ? View topic - Change the Main Fuse holder

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Reactions: CXPHREAK
1 - 9 of 9 Posts