Honda CX 500 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts
i liked the electraglide.........and was a close decision between the 'glide and a K100Rs (both new) in the 1980s..

(my comment is a in-joke between Aussies and NZers.....)

Much like your “thingy”?
Yes. And that was a direct reply to your mention of harley bashing. They don't leave the factory that loud.

I actually put a couple of months into working out baffles that allowed decent performance and are as quiet as possible. It isn't exactly whisper quiet but is half the volume than with the blow through wrapped type of baffle I started with. I did at least make the effort and still have plans to revisit this. Some just set out for maximum volume.

I've ridden several cars apart from bikes that I can't hear the thingy over. If mine is too loud theirs is armagedon.

But few leave the dealership unmodified.

There was a time when harley marketed their bikes as 'the silent grey fellow'.

I have fitted the thingy with a pair of large, loud horns that sound more like a truck horn than anything else.

For their effectiveness I rely on the idiot drivers not knowing what is about them in traffic.

I don't generally use motorbike horns. They have almost no effect even if heard. The driver interprets no immediate threat to themselves.

But I've used the thingys horn three times. The first two the cars swung back into their own lanes real quick. The third a sustained blast had no effect whatsoever but I was already backing out of there on the brakes anyway.

it might be somewhat historical.....the OEM pipes of the 70s and 80s may be restrictive...but new bikes off the floor now often have stainless and a good tuned system...but H/Ds offer upgrade packages (via the dealerships)...one of the first things to go the pipe....

if I was cruel..." a fool and his money are soon parted"........

It always amazes me that people with Harleys felt it was fair game to "bash" Japanese bikes for decades (both figuratively and literally - I've been at events where the HD faithful lined up and paid money to hit one with a baseball bat) but now if one of us makes any comment that bruises their fragile egos they go all PC on us.
My how times have changed.....

It always amazes me that people with Harleys felt it was fair game to "bash" Japanese bikes for decades (both figuratively and literally - I've been at events where the HD faithful lined up and paid money to hit one with a baseball bat) but now if one of us makes any comment that bruises their fragile egos they go all PC on us.
My how times have changed.....
You talk as if all people that own Harley’s are the same. Close minded! Some people might look at all cx owners as cafe racer/scrambler fans that want a brown seat and loud exhaust.

I think loud harleys tend to be singled out as emblematic of loud bikes in general because when an owner sets out to make one loud they are the loudest things out there.

I see stuff like Japanese cruisers with aftermarket exhausts. Their racket just can't touch a harleys.

That's not a bash, just an observation.

I'd actually like an older 1200 sporty. I would normalise the bars and peg position.

They aren't all the same but enough of them were like that to leave a lasting impression..... And the so-called "Harley bashing" that people get so upset about these days is so much gentler than the way so many Harley people treated us that it hardly bears comparison.
Harley owners promoted the rough & tough image so long that it is hard to believe they have become so sensitive about anything, let alone being on the but end of what are essentially just friendly gibes.

Well I’m not a Harley owner so I take no offense. If I get one someday it was just be for the nostalgia. For a bike they get horrible fuel economy. My aunt tells me she starts seriously looking for a fuel stop as she approaches 100 miles on the odometer. That’s too many fuel stops in a day for me.

Well I’m not a Harley owner so I take no offense. If I get one someday it was just be for the nostalgia. For a bike they get horrible fuel economy. My aunt tells me she starts seriously looking for a fuel stop as she approaches 100 miles on the odometer. That’s too many fuel stops in a day for me.
She must have the peanut tank-less than 3 gal. most HD ridden average will get 45-50 miles per gal. I have owned 35 of them -last one a 2010 with 75000 miles on it.
Paul

She must have the peanut tank-less than 3 gal. most HD ridden average will get 45-50 miles per gal. I have owned 35 of them -last one a 2010 with 75000 miles on it.
Paul
I can’t remember the model year maybe a 1994 and it says heritage on the front fender. I know it is an EVO. She does have the training wheel kit on it that surely hurts her economy. A friend of hers rides the same model but newer with the twin cam engine and he said he rarely got 40 mpg. Trying to cruise 80mph against the wind on my Silverwing got me less than 40 mpg but have also gotten 50 mpg cruising at 60 mph on the same Silverwing.

They aren't all the same but enough of them were like that to leave a lasting impression..... And the so-called "Harley bashing" that people get so upset about these days is so much gentler than the way so many Harley people treated us that it hardly bears comparison.
Harley owners promoted the rough & tough image so long that it is hard to believe they have become so sensitive about anything, let alone being on the but end of what are essentially just friendly gibes.
Bob, I believe most of the bashing was a result of the Japanese coming over one night & bombing our country-many of us older guys (now) had dads-uncles-neighbors go off to war.-plus some of the 1st products were not of the best quality.
Check out most charity rides sponsored by bike dealers or clubs. What you ride doesn't
make you a better or worse citizen. How you ride may.
Paul

Discussion starter · #56 ·
My aunt tells me she starts seriously looking for a fuel stop as she approaches 100 miles on the odometer. That’s too many fuel stops in a day for me.
Your basis for comparison must be your Bavarian infini-tanks. We've had BMW riders on the Spring Ride who didn't need to fill up all day.

Well All I know is that my neighbors don't hear me when I leave the drive way

For the ones that from western Canada and Alberta and BC
we go to Toadrock motorcycle campground by Ainsworth BC
The locals in that area are not HAPPY with bike's that is loud
I don't blame the locals because all you hear all day is bikes that is loud
We where in Kaslo last year stopped for breakfast and the bike's all had stock pipes.I asked the locals about the noise issue and the response was
We don't like bikes with loud pipes and Diesel pickup's with loud pipes

TLD

"There's nothing gay about being queer" Sir Ian McKellen.

In world war 2 gay was a common word in use with British soldiers.

A battle of Britain pilot killed in action would be eulogised as "the gayest of the gay".

They meant he was a party animal.

Context changes with time.
"Fanny pack" creates a different image to the Brits
returning to "loud pipes", as I am guilty of the digression.....it would be interesting to know what bikes were used.
Any difference between lower frequency 4 strokes and howling 2 strokes?
Just a thought.

Interestingly there is mixed research on "lights on" from what i recall....

When I stayed with my Uncle in Osaka, Japan, you often heard the high pitched sounds of winding bosozoku gangs in the middle of the night. They always sounded like they might explode. I called them "Exploding Bozos". I thought they were always 2 stroke, but apparently, they are 4 stroke. Here, at a competition, it Sounds like they are doing something like Morse Code.

Reactions: bahn88
If you really want to freak out the distracted driver ,KNOCK really hard on their window!

Reactions: CXPHREAK
41 - 60 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.