Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 84 Posts
"There's nothing gay about being queer" Sir Ian McKellen.

In world war 2 gay was a common word in use with British soldiers.

A battle of Britain pilot killed in action would be eulogised as "the gayest of the gay".

They meant he was a party animal.

Context changes with time.
I am so old I remember when this topic was about loud exhaust.
Paul

I do like the sound of a inline 4 or 6
That's the reason I bought the Kawasaki Z900RS 2020 model
stock pipe sounds so good just the right note on the tune coming from the big s/s muffler
most of the V twin's with straight pipe sounds like a old Massey Ferguson
combine with a broken manifold
Open header's on a V8 with lots of compression 14:1 that sounds sexy

returning to "loud pipes", as I am guilty of the digression.....it would be interesting to know what bikes were used.
Any difference between lower frequency 4 strokes and howling 2 strokes?
Just a thought.

Interestingly there is mixed research on "lights on" from what i recall....

When the motorcycle daytime headlight law was introduced here I was on a moped. I don't know how much of my perception was affected by being on 2 wheels myself but I remember that I noticed motorcycles in traffic a lot more with their headlights on than I did before they had them on in the daytime.
I've said it before: If daytime headlights on bikes made motorcyclists safer because car drivers noticed them more that was taken away when they started requiring daytime headlights on cars too. Now bikes just blend into the crowd in heavy traffic.

You are better off with the light off if you have sunset/sunrise behind you. A headlight actually helps you to blend in in these poor visibility circumstances.

The choice should belong to those with their neck in the noose though I do agree that most of the time headlight on can't hurt and often helps.

was it the 6pipes (6into6)?
Pretty sure it was 6 into 2 but sounded much like the 6 into 6 in the video. On that trip we visited a very nice motorcycle museum near Sorrento BC. Along with the many vintage bikes a partially disassembled CBX engine was on display. A beautiful piece of machinery it is!

OK I read the whole thing, all I can say is bullshit. I doubt if the tested a my Harleys.
I did the test with my wife in the car and me riding behind her. She had no problem hearing the bikes at 30 feet behind the car. They said the radio was set at 20 decibels. Normal conversation Is 60 decibels. However they did say lower frequencies were heard. Yea like a Harley!

BS on this article.

As I said before, the reporter doesn't really understand sound measurement enough to interpret the study's findings. That doesn't mean the study itself is wrong, only that he doesn't know how to explain it clearly.

I don't know about your wife's car specifically but I've been in cars that were passed by bikes with loud mufflers lots of times over the years and you almost never hear them over the ambient sound in the car (tire & engine noise, wind noise &c) until the bike is right next to it.
And besides, we all know that the most common type of car/motorcycle collision is caused by an oncoming car turning across the bike's path. It should be obvious to anyone that the bulk of the sound produced by the exhaust is projected behind the bike, in exactly the opposite direction from where drivers of oncoming cars are.

As offensive as overly loud exhausts are they can at best be considered a passive safety device like high vis and lights on.

I have absolutely no faith in any of these measures and take a more active approach to my on road safety.

I'll be kind here and just say that many drivers are plain oblivious to much that goes on around them.

Loud pipes on the highway are not a nuisance since people usually have their windows rolled up and the tunes on.
Loud pipes are a nuisance when they drive thru my neighborhood when I an on the deck trying to have a nice conversation with somebody or at night when I am in bed with the windows open listening to the crickets.

FWIW...re loud pipes its probably difficult to get the orientation/direction right.
The study in the original post had the drivers with a radio on....

I know I've been in a busy city centre (Sydney)/tallbuilings with full face helmet...could here a siren...but difficult to determine the direction...It was a paramedic BMW R1200..zooming down the main street at ?100km/hr...

My take is that loud pipes damages the riders hearing , annoys the neighbours , frightens small children and family pets , and generally is only appealing to others who think loud pipes save lives.....

unless its a Triumph Speed Triple on song and I can hear it from 2 miles away .....

If everyone liked the same sound we would live in a boring world. I do get tired of the Harley bashing. Harley Davidson is a big part of American heritage and it won’t surprise me if I buy one someday. I really like all of the motorcycles!

21 - 40 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.