Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,759 Posts
I won't dispute the study (it only confirms what I've been saying for decades) but speaking as someone who studied the measurement of sound in college many years ago, the author of the article has a very poor understanding of what sound pressure level is and how it is measured.

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
69 Posts
Harley Davidson motor cycle new model
Comes with forward facing pipes.Yes that's a special option
That.s the only way the motorist will hear the bike sooner

By the way they don't like when you tell them that

·
Registered
903 Posts
I like a nice sounding bike. In my eyes (ears), a bike that is loud just to be loud does not equal a nice sound. There has to be character, like a quiet Goldwing or a ripping triple from Triumph.
On my last cross country ride I followed my cousin on his CBX. I loved the quality of sound and loudness coming out the many pipes when he opened up the throttle to pass whatever was in our way.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
On my last cross country ride I followed my cousin on his CBX. I loved the quality of sound and loudness coming out the many pipes when he opened up the throttle to pass whatever was in our way.
was it the 6pipes (6into6)?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
many moons ago F*Gs were just a confectionery.....

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
I think f*gs got the chop not because they were politically incorrect but that they mimicked a tobacco product and were targeted at children.

Big boss cigars have also been renamed. I can't remember to what.

Edit, whatayaknow .... the forum edits the word **** thusly.

The branding of f*gs in Australia may not have been homophobic. F*gs was Australian slang for ciggies. In the US it had a very different meaning.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
yes found the edit....:p
I could make a lurid comment about big boss cigars...but wont....but good to discourage all tobacco including the chewin' type....

Times have changed and rightly so...remember being in high school while our canadian teacher was chewing tobacco and shared some on the sports field with those who wanted to indulge....

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
F*gs was Australian slang for ciggies.
Also in the UK and Ireland, and maybe NZ too?
The term is still very widely used here: "Popping out for a f*g.", "Having a f*g break.", "I am 'aving a f*g!" (the last one from Wayne and Waynetta Slob, in Harry Enfield and chums on TV)
We also have a traditional pork meat product called f*ggots...

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Also in the UK and Ireland, and maybe NZ too?
The term is still very widely used here: "Popping out for a f*g.", "Having a f*g break.", "I am 'aving a f*g!" (the last one from Wayne and Waynetta Slob, in Harry Enfield and chums on TV)
We also have a traditional pork meat product called f*ggots...
And we wont mention spotted d***:LOL:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
And we wont mention spotted d***:LOL:
A school and works canteen favourite, with loads of custard!

We had a chap at work named Richard Large (I kid you not). What were his parents thinking? None of us called him by the shortened version of his first name (he was a genuinely nice chap)...he must have had enough of that at school!

·
Premium Member
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,085 Posts
I like engine sounds. Around here, loud pipes seem to go with no helmet and you rarely get a nod or wave back from those folks.

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
I know people with disgracefully loud bikes.

They wear earplugs to protect their hearing from their own bikes noise.

Bugger everyone else.

These fellers are great ambassadors for motorcycling.

The thingy is a bit loud. But it's not LOUD.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,759 Posts
A f a g g o t is a bundle of sticks used for kindling, commonly abbreviated to "f a g", which is how the term became used for a cigarette (any pipe smoker will tell you cigarettes aren't good for much except lighting fires). How the term came to refer to a homosexual I don't know.
(Note to Admins: I am offended that I had to type in these words with spaced so that the software didn't censor them. They are perfectly acceptable terms and anyone who is offended by them used as above has problems that censoring words won't help.)

As for gay, that just means happy. I remember that someone decided it wasn't happy with homosexuals being called "queer" (which really just means strange or different) and decided they would have a more positive image if they called themselves "gay" instead and a lot of people were upset about them ruining a perfectly good word for everyone else (when the Flintstones Theme said "we'll have a gay old time" it meant prehistoric fun).

Re loud pipes: I haven't had a bike with the original mufflers for a long time. I used to like them fairly loud but that lost its appeal after I had to ride behind a buddy's Harley with some obnoxious aftermarket noisemakers for an hour so after a car made a left turn across the path of the loud piped GoldWing (one more crash they didn't prevent) I wanted something with a more reasonable sound level on the next one.
I currently have Harley mufflers on both of mine; The current GoldWing came with just headers (everything else had rotted off while it sat for a decade (outside for 6 of those years) and I had very little to spend on it so it got what was cheap and they are still on it 24 years later (I might finally replace them this year if I can get to the local aftermarket HD place). They are a bit louder than stock but not uncivilized and a few non-bikers have told me they sound good.
Eccles came with aftermarket repros of the originals that were so loud I could barely hear the stereo so they got changed at first opportunity (it's on its 2nd set of HD mufflers now - winter is hard on stuff).

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
"There's nothing gay about being queer" Sir Ian McKellen.

In world war 2 gay was a common word in use with British soldiers.

A battle of Britain pilot killed in action would be eulogised as "the gayest of the gay".

They meant he was a party animal.

Context changes with time.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts