Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bad news- I suffered a fire in my attached garage that also cause profound smoke damage to the house. One CX650 Turbo was spared because it was at work, but I lost my other 650TD (#411, the original one I bought in 1998 and Dan Topping put a new stator in it). I will find out soon what Allstate thinks it was worth. At least it was registered and insured. Both my CX500 turbos were titled but not insured and were totally disassembled for show bike restorations. One had 5,000 miles, the other 10,000. I had mint tanks, fairings, etc. that were all stored in the antique car that was on a car lift in the garage... they all were destroyed, including the car. About a dozen front turn signals, mint key sets with both original keys, basically 30 years of parts hoarding with an eye towards having the time to finish my restorations when I retire in three years.
Plus the neighbor's cat, whom I had been catsitting, died.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
That's terrible news. I would be devastated. The value of the hoarded parts immeasurable - fingers crossed the Insurance payout may soften the blow - but you would normally not be able to gather all those items again.

Sorry to hear about the cat as well.

How did the fire start ??

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Sorry to hear about the fire, but on the bright side nobody was hurt. Parts etc. can be replaced, no matter how dear they were.

If the insurance company gives you any push back on the value of items, replacement cost for same and building etc., I would highly recommend getting yourself a good private insurance adjuster.
They normally work on 10%. My insurance adjuster got me more on a supplement after the work was done on a fire than the insurance company had offered in total during the preliminaries.

Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry to hear about that.
Hope you are in good condition and get fortune.

·
Super Moderator
11,451 Posts
Terrible news, certainly hard to accept after all the trials and efforts to gather such a collection. Maybe this forum has enough pull via the Turbo section, etc to be helpful in quantifying a better value than some gumshoe in a tartan suit. I can think of no better resource than here to substantiate a fair bit more $$.
Sad about the cat *avatar any hint?*.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the well wishes... I wish I had all the receipts over the years, from Western Honda, Brisbane motorcycle parts, Ebay back to '2000. I lost a lot of old electronic gear; tube testers, tube amps, oscilloscopes, etc., lots of tools, my restored '65 Valiant, the 4-post lift it was on, lots of toys including five 1:6 CX500 Turbo Tamiya kits. Lithium battery fire. I had one bicycle conversion that I hand-wired two years ago and I had the numerous cells and brushless motor kits, controllers, BMS modules, etc. to make e-bikes for my wife and son all on the floor of my garage. My elderly neighbor wanted to go out to dinner and since she is diabetic I promptly dropped everything that I was doing in the garage and went out the door... one that was left on a charger must have caught fire and set off other batteries. It was chaos when I came back- three fire departments, and oily smoke deposits on everything in the house. It even found its way into closed closets and cabinets. Every chemical in the garage cabinets burned too.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this. Glad you and your family are ok.
I love the convenience of my attached garage but the thought of fire has always been in the back of my mind since I bought my house. Mine seems to mimic yours too, CXT toys and even a vintage car on a lift.
If you didn't have full coverage on the bikes, hopefully your homeowners will kick in and cover everything.
I'd search completed auctions on eBay and print out everything to show what the real world value is. As far as spare parts, you probably have replacement value on home contents (not sure if that applies to garage?). If so, try to find a "partsfiche" from the last time Honda listed prices. I'm guessing the last price given for something like an ECU would be a small fortune.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I am sick to hear about the fire. I just cringe thinking about all of the unobtanium parts that went up in smoke and I know you feel even worse. As other posters have said, at least you are safe.

This needs to be a lesson for everyone on the forum. Even if you do not have an inventory list and a huge box of receipts, you can at least have pictures or a video of your stuff. This will act as fairly good proof of ownership if there ever is an issue. The main thing to remember with insurance claims is that the companies are in the business of collecting premiums, not paying claims. They will always make collecting money a difficult process.

What kind of lithium battery are you thinking caused the fire? I keep a bunch of DeWalt batteries plugged in, but this may encourage me to only charge them when I am around. I have used a few of the lithium batteries on my bikes, so that is concerning too.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. I would be crushed. I work for FedEx express and shipping Li batteries (damaged cell phones/laptops) is a huge issue for air freight. Cant imagine loosing an aircraft due to a battery fire. Hope all exercise caution with Li batteries on our old gems.

·
Registered
701 Posts
basically 30 years of parts hoarding
I am only hoarding parts for ten years or so and it would bring tears to my eyes to see my hoard burning to the ground.

If you are back on your feet and you need a set of front blinkers let me know ;)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Lithium battery fire. I had one bicycle conversion that I hand-wired two years ago and I had the numerous cells and brushless motor kits, controllers, BMS modules, etc. to make e-bikes for my wife and son all on the floor of my garage. .
I have an e-bike with a factory battery 36v10.5AH . I usually charge it, putting it in a ceramic platter. I could actually make a box out of bricks and kiln shelves and then only charge it in my gas kiln metal shed. I'll be sure not to charge it when I am not around.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss. I met you years ago, 2014 at the Coleman yearly auction in Falls Church. Later that day I stopped by your house and bought parts from you, front and rear turn signals etc. If you are interested in buying my 500T let me know it is for sale.
Barry

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sorry to hear that although you cannot be made whole ,hope insurance company does not add to the pain. This news has made think about things and my current inventory and fire safety.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello all,
Even though the fire was relegated to the gutted garage, the smoke damage was significant and we decided to sell the home to developers and we are now living in another home that we purchased nearby.
I have one CX650TD that escaped the fire because it was parked in the parking garage at work. All I'm missing is the side panels, which were in the garage. The original CX650T that I bought in 1999 and Dan Topping put the new stator in was destroyed. I have the frame and the title; maybe someone with a school bike will want to build it up.
I'm out of the CX500 Turbo game. The lock sets with original keys, mint gas tanks and fairings, all destroyed. I have one cx500TC engine (5,000 miles on it) unscathed because I had it out of the bike that was being completely restored. The 10,000 mile CX500TC was stripped of parts for restoration as well and was in the back of the garage so it got some smoke damage, but the engine that is in it looks great. I have many wheels, exhaust systems, etc that escaped the fire because they were in the basement. My neighbor graciously allowed me to store these thing over the last year but now I'm ready to sell the CX500 items.. not sure if I should sell the engines with the turbochargers or sell them separately, but will probably list them all on Ebay in the coming weeks.
-Paul

1 - 19 of 19 Posts