Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to the forum and a new owner of a 1982 Honda CX500 Custom. It's in great shape. I bought it from my coworker, and I've been working on it the last few weeks. It had been sitting for 11 years, I got it running well.

Anyways, when I picked it up my coworker told me that over the last 11 years he must have misplaced the seat hardware. It's the type of seat that doesn't have any type of latch on it. The front of it hooks under the gas tank and it appears that there are supposed to be two bolts and maybe some spacers that go on each bolt? If anybody knows what bolts/spacers they are and if you could possibly post a photo of the hardware? I have done a ton of Google searches, but can't seem to find any info.

Thanks guys, I can't wait to get this thing in 100% riding shape! After this seat all I should need is new fork seals.

Howard

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I've got that bracket, that attaches to the seat itself. It appears that there are two bolt/spacers that go on the sides and into the frame, that I don't have. I still have this bracket attached to my seat.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your handlebars on your CX, how did you make the cables work with shorter bars? I tried installing drag bars on my CX, but the cables were so bunched up. Did you have to order custom cables/ shorten yours?

Thanks.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I have a lot of spacers from my bike.. if any of them are the right size you can have them..
trying to find a parts diagram

·
Registered
891 Posts
NM Murray got it

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I am going to order 2 of those bolt 11's. My question is if I go up to the hardware store to get a bolt that will work for the time being, what are the dimensions? It says 8X14. Is that 8mm by 14mm? I know that the thread sizes is M8 I believe. Or M8-1.25

·
Registered
891 Posts
I don't think there are many pitch options on the smaller bolts. Only ones I had to worry about pitch were the larger ones.
(bought a bunch to plug threads on my frame for powder) And yes I bet plenty of people don't have the stock bolts anymore.
yes 8 x 14mm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't think there are many pitch options on the smaller bolts. Only ones I had to worry about pitch were the larger ones.
(bought a bunch to plug threads on my frame for powder) And yes I bet plenty of people don't have the stock bolts anymore.
yes 8 x 14mm
So, thats 14mm in length?

·
Registered
891 Posts
Yes. If you tell them you want a 8x14 they will get you the right one.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts