Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drained my coolant today, well actually it was distilled vinegar but anyway... Normally when I lose something, if I have another project to do I go to that, and eventually I find whatever. So I put the headlight wiring back together and taped up a big mess I made of the harness. Still no Drain bolt. I have looked everywhere. EVERYWHERE! So, I need to do something about a drain bolt. I dont see a reason why I have to use a plastic OEM plug. Anyone have an idea for me?

On another note. I ran the motor again today to check the charging voltage. Getting around 15 volts, but that was without the headlight plugged in. When it was running there was a white misty like cloud. I thought it was just moisture, but then it was to much for to long to be that. Very white, very wispy. I'm burning the vinegar I used as coolant! Ok, so I didnt have a head gasket problem before the triple bypass, but after looking over the right head, I discovered I had forgotten to replace one of those smaller head bolts at the top right of the head. There was a hose that laid on top of the hole where the bolt should have been. So I found the bolt and put it in. I have forgotten this bolt before, it holds a bracket on for the thermostat or something. But I CAN'T put coolant in it now to run it and see if I have the 'white misty' protruding from my right tail pipe. I have a new head gasket if I need it but yeah. I'm so close but so far away. I need your input
Oh and when I step on the rear brake, my brake light turns off, but that's minor.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
That's what he's saying. Others will confirm the bolt that can be used.

You really do have a power grid mess, don't you? Not my forte' so I'll defer, but I sure hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With the RR I just threw away I was getting 16v on up. This RR at least I see 14.?? to lower 15's. I think the headlight being hooked up might draw it down a bit. It's to late at night or I would go throw some water in it, and start it up, and check the voltage now that the headlight is plugged in, and check the voltage again. I had a couple of power wires I had left hanging, that might have been finding their way to the fork and one to the fender, but everything seems to light up and blink correctly. It's dark now, so I checked out the gauge lights and they are all ok. I'm real tempted to go out there and make some noise for just a minute

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
The R/R monitors battery voltage and regulates the system from there, so adding the headlight may lower the voltage at idle with low stator output, but as you get to 5K rpm it should stabilize at the same 14.??.

My note on the spark plug was a reference for size, not a suggestion to put the plug in there as a fix.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just had to try it. The sparkplug is to long, although it could be cut, and with a gasket.... But I got the plug from AutoZone as per Cobrams post above. But now I have a whole mess of problems. I really hope that the solenoid being striped to the starter cable is causing the seemingly laboured turning of the motor, even with the plugs out. Theres oil on my plugs. Hoping I didnt blow out my rings from having to much oil in it. I should have slowed down, I got to excited.

·
Registered
816 Posts
The thread is MM12 by 1.25 I just bought 5 radiator drain petcocks for a Infiniti from napa and the work great, they were cheap to.

That's good to know...I was wondering if there was a petcock that would work. Good for the quick draining when doing work on the bike. I still need to do the electric fan mod and would be draining the radiator anyway. I have a second radiator and it's missing the drain plug as well.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found the original plug in the rear rim today. Must have fallen down in there or something. I'm getting a bit used to replacing hardware though. Motor spins nice thank God. Happy Easter btw
But my starter motor quit on me. I've looked over the tutorials, I've had it apart before due to the solder coming undone from the bolt. I know there should be some fiber washers in there, but I must have forgotten to put them back in at one point. The motor was working for a little while like it was, until it didn't. Looks like I need a starter motor and some head gaskets to drive it again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.