Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an idiot for not getting a duplicate made but not much I can do about that now. What is the fastest way I can get riding again? I saw the hot wire thread but I rather just get the key situation taken care of.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Drop the ignition. It's held in by two bolts and can be done without removing the headlight.

Then take it to a locksmith that knows bikes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering if I would get off easy and a Honda dealership would still have the keys. Maybe a place will be open tomorrow so I can do this.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
IIRC

When you get it off theres a number stamped on the barrel

and I always assumed it referred to the key.

Hopefully your local honda shop will match it up

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
The number on the barrel of the ignition is the key code. 30 years ago there was a machine like a combination lock/hole punch. You would put in the right numbers, install the key and punch the one side out. Then switch to the other.

I haven't seen a dealer with one in about 8 years but that doesn't mean that an intelligent experienced locksmith doesn't have one laying around.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I was wondering if I would get off easy and a Honda dealership would still have the keys. Maybe a place will be open tomorrow so I can do this.
I'd check prices with a dealership against a lock smith before you dig into it, maybe you'll find that smith with a passion for two wheels that'll cut you a deal?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Most places won't just make you a key from a number unless you bring in the bike or the lock, it would be too easy to copy someone else's number and steal their bike. The GM places stil have those machines but you better have the title and ID in hand, they can make a key from the vin #

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I've got three sets but I'm going to be like 'Stich and get a few more then put them in various places of the house and in one of my toolboxes. I'll need to do the same with the key to the lock for the aircraft cable I lock it to a nearby metal post thingy too.

·
Registered
122 Posts
My key is nearly 30 years old and the loop for the keychain is paper thin. So I had a duplicate made a few years ago. This week I lost all my keys somewhere and can't find them. Thank goodness I still have the original. Now I need to have another spare made. Sucks, but at least I don't have to install my spare ignition.

·
Registered
264 Posts
is the ignition and gas cap on a gl a matched set? i tried the key out of the parts bike and id didn't seem to open my gas tank and vice versa. just wondering what I would ever do if I needed a new gas cap.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
is the ignition and gas cap on a gl a matched set? i tried the key out of the parts bike and id didn't seem to open my gas tank and vice versa. just wondering what I would ever do if I needed a new gas cap.

Well they started life as a matched set. I believe the caps will interchange with other honda caps just fine but they won't look as good.

As for getting it off without a key what you would need to do is pick the lock. All you need is a piece of metal to make a lever to keep tension to turn the gas cap lock and a wire bent using the raking technique.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
The number on the barrel of the ignition is the key code. 30 years ago there was a machine like a combination lock/hole punch. You would put in the right numbers, install the key and punch the one side out. Then switch to the other.

I haven't seen a dealer with one in about 8 years but that doesn't mean that an intelligent experienced locksmith doesn't have one laying around.
My local Honda dealer still cuts keys from key codes almost daily.

I am sure that if you use my name and that I told you to call him he will cut keys with you just telling him your key code.

The dealer is Mike's Honda in Menasha , WI. here is his link. He is the oldest Honda dealer in Wisconsin

http://mikescycle-wi.com/aboutus.asp

Just tell them David Wiener told you to call from the Silverwing forum. He only knows the forum by that name. I am not ashamed to drum up a little business for him. Also note that he says he has the lowest prices available.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

The gas cap only has a couple of pins as opposed to a full compliment in the ignition lock. This means that one key will fit many other gas cap locks. If you have to replace it just find a cap your key will work in, there's probably only about 4 - 5 variations.

PS:A pair of needlenose pliers will turn a standard paper clip into a nice rake tool, a bent tipped cheap tiny flat blade screwdriver can make a good tension tool or you can make an even better one out of a soup can if you've got some tin snips. Actually spring steel is the preference here.

It was stolen, but I used to have one of these: http://www.lockpicks.com/grandmasterautomotiverockerandpickset.aspx

If you were patient enough you could open anything including double sided key locks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.