Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas other than replacing the lock?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Any ideas other than replacing the lock?
welcome mike,can you put your bikes details and your location into your signiture line.it helps others,help you

mike,im sure it was posted,that there is a code on the barrel[helmet locks as well].take it to a good locksmith,they should be able to cut a new key from it

·
Super Moderator
11,467 Posts
If I recall, there is a fellow member here, Kilroy, who is able to replace keys very inexpensively using the numbers from the lock, as mentioned by Bandit.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did that as well...10 bucks to make a key from the code

Wayne S

·
Registered
40 Posts
Drop me a line I can make keys 5 per key plus 1 shipping

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drop me a line I can make keys 5 per key plus 1 shipping
Hi Kilroy, Thank you very much but I had already had a couple made,for the ignition.I may ask for your help with the fuel tank key.This is a rough bike externally and will continue to assess the mechanical before continuing with more external stuff.Thanks again,Mike

·
Registered
385 Posts
Whats with everyone losing their keys... Now I need a new one... KILROY!!!! (ill see what honda has to say tomorrow.)

The only number I have is the three digit number that was stamped on the key.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Whats with everyone losing their keys... Now I need a new one... KILROY!!!! (ill see what honda has to say tomorrow.)

The only number I have is the three digit number that was stamped on the key.

The three digits on the key may be all you need. But if not. This is a naked ignition barrel. If you remove it from your bike there will be 6 letters/digits near where that arrow points.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I suppose there's a lesson to be learned here about having extra keys and not hiding every one of them from yourself.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
I suppose there's a lesson to be learned here about having extra keys and not hiding every one of them from yourself.

Or if you ever get into the area where you can see the code on your ignition write it down. I have mine saved in several locations so if I lose mine which I won't I can just call Kilroy up and get another.

I also have hidden keys.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Well none of the honda dealers make keys anymore. So I need kilroy. Anyone know how to get a hold of him? I've tried email and pm yesterday.

·
Registered
385 Posts
YAR!!! Double Post!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Another option is to get blank keys, disassemble the barrel, and file your own keys. I did this for an 84 TRX-200 I acquired a few years back. Benefit was I was able to swap some of the pins around so the key is unique. This also allows you to clean all the contacts up really good and apply new lube to the barrell/pins and dielectric grease to the contacts.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
You should be able to get him from a PM or Email. Remember sometimes people are busy.

As for hiding a key. Where wouldn't you.

You could put it under the fuse panel, in the headlight bucket, in the airbox, ductaped to your battery, tool pouch, saddlebags, and if you have a fairing the options are endless.

I can also hotwire the bike so no worry there.

Like I said I have a key hidden on every one of my vehicles. They aren't obvious but they wouldn't be hard for me to get to either.

·
Registered
385 Posts
You should be able to get him from a PM or Email. Remember sometimes people are busy.

Oh but I was taught that the world revolves around me! I was just wondering since the impression I got was that Kilroy never showed up until someone (who had a better means of getting a hold of him) contacted him.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm like Beetlejuice you need to mention me three times before I show up HA!

BTW key is in the mail Zegwin.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yah I saw that, thanks!

I did not feel like I needed to fill your inbox with my 5th or so thank you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts