Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got everything finished up yesterday, tires mounted, everything cleaned up

Put my first 150 miles on my bike today, and noticed an interesting issue in the latter half of my ride. Between 50-60 mph, in 4th and 5th gear, while pulling around 5000 to 6000 RPM, I would feel an intermittent loss of power, in which I would downshift to a lower gear, or haul the throttle to full open to get past the "rough" spot. There are no other places in the powerband that exhibiting the same behavior. I will see if it will continue to to do this tomorrow, as I am planning on putting a bunch more on it as well.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
When I cleaned the carbs I didn't break them apart.
i think what shep meant is.....have the carbs been balanced[synched] to work as one.ie.they both offer exactly the same amount of fuel-air mixture to the cylinders.

you need a machine to assist the balance.example carbtune.

http://www.carbtune.com/

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i think what shep meant is.....have the carbs been balanced[synched] to work as one.ie.they both offer exactly the same amount of fuel-air mixture to the cylinders.

you need a machine to assist the balance.example carbtune.

http://www.carbtune.com/

Nope, I have synced them since cleaning them up. If that's a possible cause, I am definitely willing to explore it.
I don't have an apparatus, I'll see if I know someone who does have one to borrow...or rent.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Nope, I have synced them since cleaning them up. If that's a possible cause, I am definitely willing to explore it.
I don't have an apparatus, I'll see if I know someone who does have one to borrow...or rent.

carbs that are clean,serviced and balanced deliver a superb feeling when riding throughout the power range.

carbs that have not been balanced fight each other,trying to push one conrod faster that the other

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had some Seafoam in this previous tank. I filled up today with clean, untouched 87, and it seemed the issue went away. I will give an update later on if it returns.

·
Registered
639 Posts
You can do a quick and crude carb balance without any special tools. Pull off one spark plug wire and run the bike on only the left-hand cylinder. Note the rpm. Then run the bike on only the right-hand cylinder. Rpm's should be exactly the same. If not, adjust the screw on spring loaded rod that connects the carbs to each other.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Bench syncing the carbs gets them close, but to get them properly synced you need to sync them using a manometer while the bike is running. It is very easy and dirt cheap to make one, and it will make a huge difference with the engine performance and gas mileage. Since all carbs are not perfectly identical, the running sync allows the carbs to be tuned to each other to compensate for any air flow or fuel delivery variations .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts