Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my bike quit on me last week. Riding to work I noticed a loss of power all of a sudden as I pulled in. It started but ran about the same way on the way home. Sat I tried to start it and it fired right up,

but quickly died. When I tried again I was able to keep it running only by giving it gas constantly but as soon as I let off the gas it died, then couldnt get it started again. Plugs where black and 1 was very wet

with gas. Could it be my timing chain? Or maybe just a bad coil? Not sure where to start looking guys. Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Just had my bike quit on me last week. Riding to work I noticed a loss of power all of a sudden as I pulled in. It started but ran about the same way on the way home. Sat I tried to start it and it fired right up,

but quickly died. When I tried again I was able to keep it running only by giving it gas constantly but as soon as I let off the gas it died, then couldnt get it started again. Plugs where black and 1 was very wet

with gas. Could it be my timing chain? Or maybe just a bad coil? Not sure where to start looking guys. Thanks for any insight.
muleskinner,i know you are not really new.but,can you update your signiture and avitar.include your bikes details and your location.

your response will partially depend on which model you have.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
can you confirm you have a good battery and have a spark at each plug.[do not use the valve covers as grounds]

i would not think your timing has altered.

have you done any work on the bike recently.

are you running with an inline filter.

confirm fuel is reaching both carbs

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
muleskinner,i know you are not really new.but,can you update your signiture and avitar.include your bikes details and your location.

your response will partially depend on which model you have.

If I could figure out how I would, lol. I don't see any option's for doing so. It's a 78 cx 500. Guess I will need help with the new site as well. (sorry)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
no probs m8.

click on your name.

click....edit my profile

see this

* Change Profile Information

* Change About Me Page

* Change Signature

* Change Photo

* Change Avatar

* Manage Ignored Users

click on avitar or signiture and fill in your details

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
can you confirm you have a good battery and have a spark at each plug.[do not use the valve covers as grounds]

i would not think your timing has altered.

have you done any work on the bike recently.

are you running with an inline filter.

confirm fuel is reaching both carbs

Battery is good. Going to check the spark tomorrow. (How is best to do this?) I have not done anything with the bike for months. I have always run with an inline filter.

I would say plenty of fuel is reaching the carbs since at least one was soaked with gas. If it was timing chain problem wouldn't it have emploded right away? It just started

Running with a loss of power and was making a wierd sound in the motor.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
with a loss of power and was making a wierd sound in the motor.

ah,that might be different.

i think you are going to have to let the experts chip in here,a 78 with a weird noise..........mm

how many miles on the bike.

have you changed the cam chain

do you regularly adjust it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ah,that might be different.

i think you are going to have to let the experts chip in here,a 78 with a weird noise..........mm

how many miles on the bike.

have you changed the cam chain

do you regularly adjust it

Well, I'm not sure if the soft knocking noise was from it running on 1 cylinder or maybe something else. The bike has about 28k on it now and I checked the timing chain when I did the stator job on it

back in the spring. It looked good. Have never adjusted it though.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
second on the airbox / filter issues... mine did this sort of misbehavior with a clogged breather tube .... 28 year old gummy bear made of oil in there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.