Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a 1979 CX-500 in very nice shape. I won't be using it to haul stuff or commute, so I want to get rid of the luggage rack that sticks way out the back. I am pretty sure it is a factory accessory, because the turn indicators attach to it. In the Owners Manual that I acquired on eBay, the illustration shows a simple chrome tube that appears to mount in the same way and affords fittings for the turn indicators.

So, I have two questions: First, is this as easy a swap as it appears? And, second, anyone have this part in good shape who would like to trade for a luggage rack?

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yup Easy swap. I'd trade you if you were closer. A bit of a trek from the UK!

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Does the luggage rack have a back rest???
Is the bike a Custom or Deluxe???
You might put that info in your signature.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does the luggage rack have a back rest???
Is the bike a Custom or Deluxe???
You might put that info in your signature.
There is no backrest.
The title does not specify the model. It is the one with the smaller tank, if that helps.
And I'll attempt to post a photo here. CX500 in the garage.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a Custom.
If you look at the VIN, is should end in a C.
My VIN ends in a number, but the prefix is PC. So does that stand for Perfect Custom or something along those lines?

Another question: I'll post a want-to-buy listing in the classifieds, but I am not sure what I am looking for. What would one call that simple piece of chrome tubing that substitutes for the luggage rack? I'd like to have the stock item without the backrest. Just a plain piece of tubing with appropriate tabs.

·
Registered
819 Posts
My VIN ends in a number, but the prefix is PC. So does that stand for Perfect Custom or something along those lines?

Another question: I'll post a want-to-buy listing in the classifieds, but I am not sure what I am looking for. What would one call that simple piece of chrome tubing that substitutes for the luggage rack? I'd like to have the stock item without the backrest. Just a plain piece of tubing with appropriate tabs.
I call it the grab rail, nice bike you have.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Yup. Agreed. It's a grab rail. I've got at least one somewhere but it won't do you any good from the UK.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts