Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[/size

1982 Gl500i. I removed the trunk forward behind the drivers seat.

I fasten down but not tight. Everything seam tight but the trunk

will moved up & down. Is this common?

Ev.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Does the trunk still have the front tongue piece on it. I thought there was a piece on the bike that it lined up with to mount solid.

The part at the top front of #20

·
Registered
168 Posts
The rear trunk/pillion attaches to the frame by a tongue in slot setup in the front and by a hook and latch system in the back.

The slot in the front, which is located on the front of the mud guard (#20 above the latch is located just below item 27), may droop down and you may have a hard time getting the tongue into it. It should practically touch the bike frame but over time and misinstallations is often 3.8"(1cm) below I often have to pry it up by pushing up from the side to get the tongue to slide into it.

The rear latch mechanism usually needs some help to function properly both to remove and to replace. This is done by pushing on the top of the latches of the trunk/pillion until you hear the latches (#8) click. To install you simply push down firmly over the latches until they click. To remove you may have to push down on top of the latches of the trunk/pillion while pulling up on the locking levers (#13) until you hear a click which confirms the release. Practice makes perfect.

There are also some rubber wedge mounts on the front of the trunk/pillion, and rubber pads on the rear bike frame that need to be in place to make it all snug.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rear trunk/pillion attaches to the frame by a tongue in slot setup in the front and by a hook and latch system in the back.

The slot in the front, which is located on the front of the mud guard (#20 above the latch is located just below item 27), may droop down and you may have a hard time getting the tongue into it. It should practically touch the bike frame but over time and misinstallations is often 3.8"(1cm) below I often have to pry it up by pushing up from the side to get the tongue to slide into it.

The rear latch mechanism usually needs some help to function properly both to remove and to replace. This is done by pushing on the top of the latches of the trunk/pillion until you hear the latches (#8) click. To install you simply push down firmly over the latches until they click. To remove you may have to push down on top of the latches of the trunk/pillion while pulling up on the locking levers (#13) until you hear a click which confirms the release. Practice makes perfect.

There are also some rubber wedge mounts on the front of the trunk/pillion, and rubber pads on the rear bike frame that need to be in place to make it all snug.

Found the problem, it was not latch on both sides, just one. Had to push down harder on the one side.

Thanks to all!

Ev.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.