Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope no one viewed this post in hopes that there would be some scantily clad women inside.

My real question is that when I get up to about 35 or 40 mph, the rear end of the bike seems to drift left and right a little bit. Not enough for me to feel out of control but I can still feel the movement in the bike. I have checked the rear wheel to make sure it is not loose or wobbly, I have checked the tire pressure and I cant figure it out. Is this something that is normal? has anyone experienced this before? I was thinking that it may just be the rear tire wanting to follow any grooves that are in the road, therefore making it feel like it is drifting, but its hard for me to tell. It also happens most when there is no power, or little power to the rear wheel. If I feel movement and I pin the throttle back it seems to stop the "drifting". Hope this was enough information for someone to help. This is my first motorcycle so maybe its something that is normal on all bikes since they are only on two wheels instead of four (like a car). Thanks for your help

photocodo

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Depending on your model of bike there are 3 or 4 nuts holding the rear transmission/drive-box to the Outer drive shaft case.

Slack these off.Then then slack off main rear axle nut and it's smaller locking nut/clamp on the other side and spin the wheel a bit.Now do them up but leave the Drive-box 3/4 until last.

This allows the rear wheel to align correctly.

If this doesn't cure it check the frame,

http://www.framestraightsystem.com/Motorcycle Frame Check.htm

Also could be worn rear wheel bearings.They are cheap and not too hard to replace,

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-6302-2RS-New-...394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ad8a095c2

They are the same for the front and rear.

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,672 Posts
Sounds like bad swingarm bearings. Replace them before you kill yourself!

Charles.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Hope no one viewed this post in hopes that there would be some scantily clad women inside.

My real question is that when I get up to about 35 or 40 mph, the rear end of the bike seems to drift left and right a little bit. Not enough for me to feel out of control but I can still feel the movement in the bike. I have checked the rear wheel to make sure it is not loose or wobbly, I have checked the tire pressure and I cant figure it out. Is this something that is normal? has anyone experienced this before? I was thinking that it may just be the rear tire wanting to follow any grooves that are in the road, therefore making it feel like it is drifting, but its hard for me to tell. It also happens most when there is no power, or little power to the rear wheel. If I feel movement and I pin the throttle back it seems to stop the "drifting". Hope this was enough information for someone to help. This is my first motorcycle so maybe its something that is normal on all bikes since they are only on two wheels instead of four (like a car). Thanks for your help

photocodo

Where do you reside and what do you ride?

Get that puppy up on its center stand or jack it up if it does not have one and give the ass end a good look,

try to move the rear wheel side to side and look for slop at pivot points in the swingarm.

Report your findings back here for forum analysis....free of charge

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where do you reside and what do you ride?

Get that puppy up on its center stand or jack it up if it does not have one and give the ass end a good look,

try to move the rear wheel side to side and look for slop at pivot points in the swingarm.

Report your findings back here for forum analysis....free of charge

I live in Orlando, FL and have a 1978 cx500. I have put it up on the center stand and looked at the wheel as well as I know how. There does not seem to be any side to side movement in the wheel or the swingarm, but thats only what I can see and feel. Is it easy enough to take the rear wheel off? Im pretty mechanically inclined but have not worked with motorcycles much. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Might just be a loose swingarm bolt. I notice a big improvement when I get my tightened.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bad Shocks will do it.. noticed a huge improvement in stability upon replacing mine...

·
Registered
458 Posts

photocodo

Last time I had a loose rear end, it was the Curry, from last nights dinner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts