Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've been having some funky issues with my ignition. While riding, particularly when I open up the throttle, the key in my ignition will rattle/wiggle and inadvertently cut off power. I just need to wiggle my key to get power back. I don't see any issues with the contacts or wiring so I think it's the mechanism that actually holds the key in place. Other than replacing the entire part, is there something else I could do?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
The lock part of the keyswitch is probably worn out (the bike has lasted several times what the designers expected, after all). Mine wasn't shutting the power off but it got loose enough that I could remove the key in any position and I was afraid I would lose it if I hit a big enough bump before I replaced the whole keyswitch with one from a completely different model.

·
Super Moderator
22,555 Posts
Losing the 'on' key retention is a mongrel, but a small bend in the key will stop it from coming out over bumps even if only a temporary measure until the switch can be replaced.

I've done it with the 500C I'm riding.Makes a snug fit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The lock part of the keyswitch is probably worn out (the bike has lasted several times what the designers expected, after all). Mine wasn't shutting the power off but it got loose enough that I could remove the key in any position and I was afraid I would lose it if I hit a big enough bump before I replaced the whole keyswitch with one from a completely different model.
Losing the 'on' key retention is a mongrel, but a small bend in the key will stop it from coming out over bumps even if only a temporary measure until the switch can be replaced.

I've done it with the 500C I'm riding.Makes a snug fit.
Thank you both! I'll try bending the key until I have time to replace the entire part. I'm guessing it's a fairly simple job, even for me.

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
If you don't have a spare key visit a local locksmith and have a copy made before trying the key bending trick.

·
Registered
1978 CX500
41 Posts
eBay shows a new direct replacement ignition switch and fork lock set 35100-415-017 Honda CX500 78-81 for $30.95
Comes with two factory looking keys, plug and play.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
Make sure you get the correct one for your bike and not one intended for a GL500 or '82 CX500. I believe using the wrong one will cause fuses to blow.

BTW: Here's the same one Ddog mentioned for $26 but you'd have to compare shipping costs and expected delivery time before deciding

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Make sure you get the correct one for your bike and not one intended for a GL500 or '82 CX500. I believe using the wrong one will cause fuses to blow.

BTW: Here's the same one Ddog mentioned for $26 but you'd have to compare shipping costs and expected delivery time before deciding
Appreciate it! I actually wrapped a super thin tape around my key and it fits in there snugly now. I'll definitely order a new ignition switch soon - I'll get to it as soon as I'm finished with my truck project.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Hi,

I've been having some funky issues with my ignition. While riding, particularly when I open up the throttle, the key in my ignition will rattle/wiggle and inadvertently cut off power. I just need to wiggle my key to get power back. I don't see any issues with the contacts or wiring so I think it's the mechanism that actually holds the key in place. Other than replacing the entire part, is there something else I could do?

Thanks!
My solution to the key flying out while riding was innovative! I tied a lanyard to the handlebars. When the key was in the keyswitch, it was clipped to the lanyard so it wouldn't go far when it flew out. This held me over til I could replace the keyswitch.

Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls
1 - 10 of 10 Posts