Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I'm looking to buy a GL 650 rear suspension mount. See picture below (minus the shock)

Thanks,
Mike

Wood Tool Art Metal Musical instrument

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,053 Posts
You can use the shock link (the piece not connected to the shock) from a GL500, if you need to expand your search.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,275 Posts
Honda calls those parts the Shock Connecting Rod and the Shock Absorber Arm or Cushion Arm. The part numbers are different for the GL500 and GL650 and they look different in the drawings too.
Font Line Parallel Auto part Slope

·
Registered
11,053 Posts
What source is that? In the parts manuals/fiches I've seen, those are called the Shock Arm and Shock Link.

·
Registered
1982 gl500
107 Posts
They are fairly different, the 500 link has wider attachment points where it connects to the swing arm, and the shock mount itself is a clevice rather than an eye-hole. Also the 650's link has more reinforcement.

·
Registered
11,053 Posts
Parts 10 & 11, not 8 & 9. The shock mount is irrelevant to what I said.
The terms "shock arm" and "shock link" come from page 14-25 of the FSM. My mistake.
Notice that the part numbers (52470-MA1-000, 52470-ME2-000) differ only in the vehicle code. While Honda could have made changes to the bushings in the assembly, I believe the Shock Links (or Shock Connecting Rods, if you like) themselves are identical and interchangeable. I should have some GL650 spares on hand in a few weeks, so I can compare them to the GL500 parts in the shed.

·
Super Moderator
17,275 Posts
Honda often calls parts by one name on the parts drawing and another in the shop manual.

FWIW & IIRC when I put Eccles together I used the entire linkage from the CX650E (not sure how different that is from the GL650) with the swingarm from a GL500 (that allowed me to use a CX500 final drive and swingarm and a GL500 driveshaft).

I think the link (whatever Honda calls it that name describes the function) is interchangeable but it looks like the 650 one has a bigger reinforcement plate in the drawings, which matches what mtreis said.

·
Registered
1982 gl500
107 Posts
Honda often calls parts by one name on the parts drawing and another in the shop manual.

FWIW & IIRC when I put Eccles together I used the entire linkage from the CX650E (not sure how different that is from the GL650) with the swingarm from a GL500 (that allowed me to use a CX500 final drive and swingarm and a GL500 driveshaft).

I think the link (whatever Honda calls it that name describes the function) is interchangeable but it looks like the 650 one has a bigger reinforcement plate in the drawings, which matches what mtreis said.
I swapped a 650 prolink into my 500 so I could use a rear shock intended for the 650 earlier this year, so the whole thing is sort of fresh in my mind. The one thing I probably did wrong was use the 500's bushings where the link connects to the swingarm, I should have probably used the 650s. The 500 bushings are wider so the grease seals on the end caps don't reach as far over the eye hole in the arm. But the bushings that came with my 650 link were worn out. At some point I will need to replace them, and use washers to take up the extra space where they mount.

·
Registered
11,053 Posts
That would be consistent with the rest of the GL650 frame, which is dimensionally identical to the 500's, but heavier, if I understood Murray correctly.

·
Registered
11,053 Posts
The 500 bushings are wider so the grease seals on the end caps don't reach as far over the eye hole in the arm.
I assume you mean the collars. Those could be shortened, probably at less expense than finding 650 replacements.

·
Super Moderator
17,275 Posts
I swapped a 650 prolink into my 500 so I could use a rear shock intended for the 650 earlier this year, so the whole thing is sort of fresh in my mind. The one thing I probably did wrong was use the 500's bushings where the link connects to the swingarm, I should have probably used the 650s. The 500 bushings are wider so the grease seals on the end caps don't reach as far over the eye hole in the arm. But the bushings that came with my 650 link were worn out. At some point I will need to replace them, and use washers to take up the extra space where they mount.
That's good to know. The last time I needed a shock for Eccles I found one on eBay. Winter is hard on things like that and I expect to eventually need to replace it again so when the shock from the GL500 I bought for its engine seemed OK I kept it hoping to figure out how to use it next time.
CMSNL says the link and arm for the CX650E are yet again different but your findings give me hope that I'll be able to use the whole GL500 linkage & shock with the GL500 swingarm and 650E frame.

BTW Build, I hope all this discussion helps you find what you need.
And don't forget to fill in your profile like I asked you to in the other thread (see Forum Settings link in my signature)

·
Registered
338 Posts
The big differance that I see is that the GL500 shock fits on the inside of the flange on the arm and the GL650 has the flange on the shock and fits over the arm. The shocks are defiantly different.

·
Super Moderator
17,275 Posts
By "flange" to you perhaps mean "clevis"?

And yes, the shocks are "defiantly" different. I'm sure they would defy anyone anyone to say differently ;-) ;-) ;-)
(I hate autocorrect)

·
Registered
11,053 Posts
I was talking about the other part that the shock doesn't touch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts