Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1983 GL650I
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Steven here, I'm a long time rider and selling my current bike. Previously have owned an 82 CX500C with a matching Hondaline Fairing. And an 83 CX650C. The 83 GL650I I'm looking at has some issues and I went looking for replacement parts, and they seemed hard to find. Wanting to get some info on availability of parts, and what parts my fit from one model to another. Things mentioned from seller are a cracked windshield, an inoperable speedometer, a bypassed ignition switch, and bags that work, but don't lock. Thank you in advance for the guidance.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,256 Posts
All of the bodywork is interchangeable with a GL500I. The fairing is shared with the contemporary Goldwing, so aftermarket windshields are easy to find.

·
Registered
1983 GL650I
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Randall, thanks! That makes me feel better already. I remember my bikes with a fondness, and would like to fall in love again. I've reached maturity I guess, and realizing less is more. I enjoy tinkering on my bikes, just want to make sure I can get the parts I need to revive it from where it sits now.

·
Registered
1983 GL650I
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Randall, thanks! That makes me feel better already. I remember my bikes with a fondness, and would like to fall in love again. I've reached maturity I guess, and realizing less is more. I enjoy tinkering on my bikes, just want to make sure I can get the parts I need to revive it from where it sits now.

·
Registered
83 Honda GL650i Silver Wing Interstate
37 Posts
I just bought a 83 GL650i and the seller said not run in over a year, carbs gunned up & cooling fan not working. In my case the carbs were in good shape but petcock rubber stuck not letting fuel to pass and the fan switch was bad.

Dealer did not have anything in stock but Ebay had what I needed for parts (carb kits & switch) but the biggest was the FSM on the bike. If you dont have one get one as it will tell you how to check and remove / replace stuff.

What the FSM may not cover the guys here can help and most likely have shortcuts on things. They have helped me on things the FSM did not point out.

I did not know on the windshield replacements. After riding mine this weekend the top is right in my line of sight and now see I have options.
I will be following along.
Dave ----

·
Registered
1983 GL650I
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FuzzFace2! So are you happy with your purchase? The bike I'm selling is an 02 Yamaha FZ1, worlds away from the GL650I. My buddies are trying to talk me out of it, that I'll be unhappy with the antique brakes, shocks etc. I looked at online dealerships as well, and so many parts are no longer available. I thought I read that there is a cross-reference list of compatible parts between models here, I'll need to find that before I buy. I found plenty on ebay for the CX500, thankfully. I fully believe in the forums, they've helped so much with previous bikes.

·
Registered
83 Honda GL650i Silver Wing Interstate
37 Posts
I am just getting back into riding, no bike since mid 80's.
I am the 3rd owner looks to be always kept in a garage, has some scratches like it fell over but nothing messed with other than a non Honda radio. It has 37,400 on it and the best part got it for $900.
Little work, help from here, carb kit & coolant switch it was running.

Only had it a few weeks, took it out first time last weekend and put just under 50 miles on it.
Yes so far I am pretty happy with it. Once I get more seat time will get a helmet for the wife so we both can go together.
Dave ----

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,691 Posts
Considering the age of these bikes a surprising amount of parts for them are still available from Honda, mostly items that were used on enough models that there is still enough demand to be worth them having more made when they run out like the rubber parts for the brakes for example (although I'll confess that I've bought aftermarket the last couple of times).

17 years ago I was finding it hard to get some parts for my GL500 so I sold it as a parts bike (used up by pulling a sidecar in the winter) and bought a "newer" model (made for '84-5). Less than a year later that bike's fatal flaw showed up and I was shopping again but this time specifically for a GL500 or GL650 (I ended up with a CX650E that should have been a parts bike and it has been gradually turning into a GL500 but that's another story).
Anyway, in the interim the aftermarket has stepped up and a lot of the parts I couldn't find in 2015 are now easily available.

Welcome to the forum and welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). The bike you know you are going to buy is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. You probably already know to check the date codes on the tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet) but a surprising number of people don't realize that the original rubber brake lines should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes (= 5 or 6 years) too. I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid).
And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts