Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back when I lived in the Netherlands (I now live in the US), I had a CX650Turbo. That was in 1988. I just purchased one again and am super thrilled! (don't have it yet). It has been sitting still for 10 years. According the current owner, it has been pickled and stored in a conditioned space.

What can I expect and how should I do the first start-up?

I am thinking to replace all fluids (brake, fork, coolant, engine oil), filters (any recommendations for air filter?), battery.

Prelube the Turbo somehow and start a few times with kill switch activated.

Also: the only real damage to the bike is that the underside of the Exhaust protector has a dent. Does anyone know a good place to get it repaired (in the USA) or where to find a good one?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Back when I lived in the Netherlands (I now live in the US), I had a CX650Turbo. That was in 1988. I just purchased one again and am super thrilled! (don't have it yet). It has been sitting still for 10 years. According the current owner, it has been pickled and stored in a conditioned space.
Addiction is a serious illness. It seems you're addicted. Welcome!

What can I expect and how should I do the first start-up?

I am thinking to replace all fluids (brake, fork, coolant, engine oil), filters (any recommendations for air filter?), battery.
IMHO:
1) Engine oil is a must. So are fresh fuel, oil filter.
2) Coolant: recommended, but if it is green and full you're probably fine for the first few runs.
3) Brake fluid: a must if you plan to ride it. The caliper pistons might be stuck. If you have the original rubber hoses - make sure they haven't deteriorated.
Make sure the return-hole in the master cylinder is not clogged. Make sure you bleed well.
4) Make sure the air filter has not deteriorated in. You could probably run without an air filter for a few minutes if you can't wait. There is a company in the Netherlands (Amsterdam) that still makes new air-filters, look them up on the internet.
5) Put a new battery and test charging (14.5V when the engine is at 2.5K RPM and above). Stators' life expectancy on these bikes is short and a hassle to replace. Look for tripple-bypass (or quad-bypass for the 650s).
6) Look for oil-leaks, especially on the Turbo inlet, outlet and camshaft cover.

Prelube the Turbo somehow and start a few times with kill switch activated.
That's always a good practice. Listen to the starter while you do that - if it turns slower than expected you might need for a stator rebuild.

Also: the only real damage to the bike is that the underside of the Exhaust protector has a dent. Does anyone know a good place to get it repaired (in the USA) or where to find a good one?
Ride safe.. share pictures.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hi and welcome,

For air filters, as Oshoshan stated, a third party now makes them and they can be purchased. You can also make your own quite easily by following the instructions in this thread DIY: Foam Air Filter Element - w/Pictures

Good luck with your project and let us know how things progress.
john

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for your replies. Yes, back in 1990, at 50,000km, I replaced the timing chain because they were known to go bad. Two weeks later the stator gave up..... did that work myself at that time. Almost 2 full days each.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No one has addressed the Exhaust protector question.
If it’s only a dent it can probably be worked out and the high temperature paint is easy to apply. The metal is very soft.I have seen musical instrument repairman massage dents out of saxophones with a broom handle or try a Paintless Dent Removal service.
I am Looking for that exhaust cover too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts