Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
473 Posts
It would take some fab work.

The most narrow tank is from a CX500C. Although, they can be a real bugger to find. When one is found you'll need to spread the wallet wide. And the tank will likely need repair from rust, dents, paint.....etc.

Remember, a smaller tank will hold less fuel, so your range will be impacted.

·
Super Moderator
6,022 Posts
Cut off wheel, steel, mig welder...design and build your own tank on the GL500 tunnel.

Reactions: purple-rain

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Hows it compare to a cx650tank???
Theres raw aftermarket cx500 cafe tanks with 650 mount kits available on ebay from time to time...
650 front kits are a few plates, bolts and rubbers at the front mount....

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,658 Posts
It would take some fab work.

The most narrow tank is from a CX500C. Although, they can be a real bugger to find. When one is found you'll need to spread the wallet wide. And the tank will likely need repair from rust, dents, paint.....etc.
You're thinking of the Standard/Deluxe tank that everyone wants for his café racer. The Custom tank should be easy to find, with so many being replaced.

·
Premium Member
12,658 Posts
The tunnel will be the biggest challenge, given the GLs wider triple spine frame.
If you do try a CX Custom tank, go for a '79 or '80. For the 1981 model, Honda narrowed the tunnel to increase capacity.

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
473 Posts
@Randall-in-Mpls Don't know about the CX tank being "easy to find"...

I had to replace the tank on my '81 CXC. Searched for 4 months in 2011, spent $150 (+ shipping) for a tank with dents and minor interior rust. Considered myself lucky on the find. Many CXC tanks were in much worse condition for insane prices.

I'm pretty sure any tanks for these rides will be getting very scarce. The few found will likely have some level of damage and severely overpriced. Kinda like everything these days.

·
Super Moderator
24,153 Posts
I'll be trying both on the euro I recently bought.

It came with a custom {aftermarket Benelli Mojave} tank that fits the frame fairly well but the fuel tap wants to occupy the same space as the side frame tube.

I have standard CX and 500C tanks here I will be trying soon.

Some years back I briefly test fitted a standard tank to a euro and it looked doable.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
@Randall-in-Mpls Don't know about the CX tank being "easy to find"...

I had to replace the tank on my '81 CXC. Searched for 4 months in 2011, spent $150 (+ shipping) for a tank with dents and minor interior rust. Considered myself lucky on the find. Many CXC tanks were in much worse condition for insane prices.
I'm pretty sure any tanks for these rides will be getting very scarce. The few found will likely have some level of damage and severely overpriced. Kinda like everything these days.
The custom tanks are by far easier to find than a standard or deluxe. The prices for them coincides with the supply and demand also. The standard tanks sell for stupid money with rust holes and all.

·
Premium Member
12,658 Posts
I test fitted Standard and Custom tanks on a GL500 frame once. I think they could be made to work, but might sit a little high.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
The custom tanks are by far easier to find than a standard or deluxe. The prices for them coincides with the supply and demand also. The standard tanks sell for stupid money with rust holes and all.
On the silly money topic....todays ebay...USA seller...ignore the $100+postage...

Font Terrestrial plant Circle Screenshot Natural material

·
Registered
1982 Honda GL500 cafe build in progress . Burn rubber , not your soul !
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I test fitted Standard and Custom tanks on a GL500 frame once. I think they could be made to work, but might sit a little high.
I've not popped my clip ons on yet because they may not have enough clearance, I've seen the clip ons on the cx500 but I think the gl500 interstate has a bigger tank.. I could be wrong. The main reason I want a tank swap is to turn my clubmans down so it gives it a slicker look , if the clip ons clear it ill stick with the original tank until I start my build this winter... I've got to.many ideas to count with limited loot.
On the silly money topic....todays ebay...USA seller...ignore the $100+postage...

View attachment 215935
Holy hell !!!!!! That an insane amount if money !!

·
Premium Member
12,658 Posts
Your best option might be an aftermarket café tank. They can be a lot narrower than stock.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your best option might be an aftermarket café tank. They can be a lot narrower than stock.
I've been looking for a tank.. I think I've found one that'll button up with no fab work.. the Mojave tank , here's the link.

·
Super Moderator
24,153 Posts
I just bought a euro that came with that tank. Unfinished project.

The euro has pretty much the same frame as the GL.

The fuel tap wants to be where the left frame rail is.

I'll be using the tank on an early single spined CX.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Sweet!! I'll check out .

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

You wouldn't happen to have a link for one would ya ?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts