Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am new here. I always wanted CX but didn’t see anything available. I want to build custom bike based off CX. Today I stumbled upon crated engine on FB and bought it knowing how much it would cost dealing with getting old one perfect.
Anyways.. I am in, nos just need to find bike.

Have to be 1978, this is must. Need to have title. Everything else is optional. Obviously I don’t want $6k custom bike.

Let me know if you have one or know where I can find one.

Thanks and hope to post more once I get this project started!

·
Registered
1979 CX500 Custom
51 Posts
Hello!

I am new here. I always wanted CX but didn’t see anything available. I want to build custom bike based off CX. Today I stumbled upon crated engine on FB and bought it knowing how much it would cost dealing with getting old one perfect.

Have to be 1978, this is must. Need to have title. Everything else is optional. Obviously I don’t want $6k custom bike.

Let me know if you have one or know where I can find one.

Thanks and hope to post more once I get this project started!
Hi - I also saw that "crated" engine. It does look new, but probably rebuilt. Probably better to find a whole bike that is running. Also in St Louis - Webster Groves

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, judging by little details- it is new. All bolt heads etc unmarred, new radiator with factory marks, covers and so on.

yes, whole bike is preferable, but I don’t really care if it’s barn find of sorts, not much will be left anyways. Just need to have title.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Wheel Asphalt
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior
Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think Brickhouse Builder is from that area. He's probably buying every CX/GL that comes up for sale in that area. Check with him. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think Brickhouse Builder is from that area. He's probably buying every CX/GL that comes up for sale in that area. Check with him. Good luck in your search.
Yes, he is nearby. My understanding he is doing something different now. At least two last projects he bought not cx/gl

Is 78 somewhat rare? See some 79s around but no 78s

·
Registered
1979 CX500 Custom
51 Posts
Well, judging by little details- it is new. All bolt heads etc unmarred, new radiator with factory marks, covers and so on.

yes, whole bike is preferable, but I don’t really care if it’s barn find of sorts, not much will be left anyways. Just need to have title.

View attachment 213740 View attachment 213741 View attachment 213742
Sorry misread your post, you have already bought the engine. Thought about getting it myself- it looks good. Don’t recall seeing any 78s but if I do I will let you know. Seen a few 79s. Is 78 a significant year for you personally or are you looking for the first CX year?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry misread your post, you have already bought the engine. Thought about getting it myself- it looks good. Don’t recall seeing any 78s but if I do I will let you know. Seen a few 79s. Is 78 a significant year for you personally or are you looking for the first CX year?
78 for me personally. I have 3 other bikes all from 1978 :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Although not exactly nearby, I have a complete 78 Standard in need of an engine. I am in Mpls, Mn, If you can come and get it. It's yours.

Steve

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Engine looks great - you could put it in your lounge as a work of art!
The lady next door to me came over and saw my 500 engine on the workbench and said she thought it looked art... :p

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The lady next door to me came over and saw my 500 engine on the workbench and said she thought it looked art... :p
Yep. I know one of those engines made into running prototype on Youtube. But I prefer to run it in MC. And yes, it's not 78, but I guess it's not a problem to put it into 78 frame?

·
Registered
1981 Honda GL500i
41 Posts
Hello!

I am new here. I always wanted CX

Have to be 1978, this is must. Need to have title. Everything else is optional. Obviously I don’t want $6k custom bike
I will have a 1978 CX500 titled in my name in about a week or so. Had to have a LEO sign-off on a VIN verification form, so slight delay.

It isn't complete but IMO has the important bits. Got it for the price of my time, a tank of fuel, the price a 1day trailer rental and title transfer. So cover those expenses & it's yours. PM me to discuss.

It is in WV @ Zip 26554.

Offer stands til someone wants it.

i got it from another member who'd be much better at detail questions.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts