Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '78 CX I've been working on for some time now. I've gotten to the electrical part of the restore.

To make a long story short, I hooked her up to my car battery and get nothing. Everything is connected, I just get no juice.

Any suggestions on where I should start and what I should look for?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Check the main fuse by the battery(in a white plastic holder),,even if the fuse looks good make sure it is making a good connection where it is attached to the wires.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I have a '78 CX I've been working on for some time now. I've gotten to the electrical part of the restore.

To make a long story short, I hooked her up to my car battery and get nothing. Everything is connected, I just get no juice.

Any suggestions on where I should start and what I should look for?
as Allan said,look at your main fuse,better still,replace using this method

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=27

you are getting juice,providing the car battery and your jump leads are good,the problem you have is finding where the 12 volts are stopping.connect your multi meter up,hook the neg.lead to the battery,a quick search in that area,you will find juice

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I checked the main fuse and the fuses in the compartment on the handlebars. They all seemed to be a tight fit but after fiddling with them, I got juice!

But I found my starter is toast. It's seized up.

Oh well, at least I got the power problem solved. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I checked the main fuse and the fuses in the compartment on the handlebars. They all seemed to be a tight fit but after fiddling with them, I got juice!

But I found my starter is toast. It's seized up.

Oh well, at least I got the power problem solved. Thanks for the help!
how did you come to the conclusion,that your starter is toast?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Once I got power, I hit the ignition button. No bueno. I could hear the starter click once, but that was it. So I pulled it and tried to open it. I can't get the top cover off but the rear came off, with about a tablespoon of powdered rust! The starter get juice and it tries to turn but it seems to be frozen.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Once I got power, I hit the ignition button. No bueno. I could hear the starter click once, but that was it. So I pulled it and tried to open it. I can't get the top cover off but the rear came off, with about a tablespoon of powdered rust! The starter get juice and it tries to turn but it seems to be frozen.
what,that did you pull,the solenoid yes?

the starter does not click,

slow down,mate,

lets start again

your battery,age and condition.?

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found one on eBay for $25 with free shipping. It's tested and works.

To answer Bandit, I pulled the starter out of the motor but left it plugged up. I hit the ignition and it moved about 1/16" and that's it. So I pulled it completely and was going to try to rebuild it using Shep's how-to guide. I tried to pull the front cover off and I could only get the cover free, not the center deal (can't remember what's it's called). So I pulled the back cover off and when it came off, about a heaping tablespoon of powdered rust came out. My bike is in pretty bad cosmetic shape, but mechanically it's pretty sound. Larry rebuilt my carbs. I thought they were too bad to salvage. All the electrical seems to be in good shape. The headlight works as well as the idiot lights, horn, ignition button, and one of the blinkers. The interior of the engine is beautiful.

I think a new starter and she'll live again.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I think battery, just had the same issue with my 80 CX, hooked up a 100A jump start, and it turned over. I'M NOT SAYING IT'S GOOD, but I did it, and it worked. I'd hook the starter up to a different battery and see how it goes before you just throw money at a new starter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts