Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey hows everyone doing. well i'm looking at getting this '79 cx500 and wanted to know what I need to look for and just how reliable these are. seller said..."20k on the bike, in good runing order, carbs need cleaned, but runs, tires are very god, has surface rust, needs cleaned, all bulbs work...leather is in great shape..title in hand."

bike looks clean besides some surface rust. going to look at bike tomorrow just want should I look at exactly. said there were no leaks anywhere so we'll see.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i'm not sure i'll be asking him tomorrow, but I think a standard. and he's only asking $500. luckily I know enough about bikes to know what i'm looking for but have never seen one of these so wasn't quite sure want to focus on

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
The only real thing to watch for is engine noise.The most common cause of engine failure on these bikes is a neglected cam chain adjustment.

Here's some engine sounds to give you an idea,

http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl500/noises.htm

And on some really badly abused ones rotted swinging arms(Rare).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Bought mine for 500, ran perfect but bored me so i took it apart. Been building a cafe out of it since january/ february, very slowly since the weather here still sucks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
glad to know it's a custom. Ill be sure to pay attention to the engine noise when it's running hopefully it sounds good. I also saw to really check all the radiator hoses and that that whole area can be a problem with these bikes....any further advice about those? i've never been a big fan of water cooled engines haha just have never had luck with them. thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Along with all the above recommendations, take your volt/multi-meter with you and read the voltage coming out of the battery. With the side cover off, you should read 12.5 volts or there abouts for a healthy battery. Turn the ingnition kill switch OFF and puss the starter. Voltage should drop to 10.5 or there abouts. Then, with the engine at 2000 RPM measure the voltage across the battery terminals...should read 14 + volts, but not higher than 14.8 volts. While these bikes stators can fail on a moment's notice, at least you'll know if the stator is working or not. With a fully charged battery, the bike will run wonderfully well and could fool you. If you don't get these voltage readings, you may be in for a stator change, which on these bikes means a complete engine drop. Plus...when you do this in front of the seller it really looks like you know what you're doing...and may allow for futher negotiations!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm looking for a CX500 also and couldn't help but notice the first reply was the question of which model was it, standard, deluxe or custom. Is it more than just what they look like or does one model have advantage over another? I have noticed customs are easier to find. Of course that isn't what I want.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I'm looking for a CX500 also and couldn't help but notice the first reply was the question of which model was it, standard, deluxe or custom. Is it more than just what they look like or does one model have advantage over another? I have noticed customs are easier to find. Of course that isn't what I want.

It depends on your usage IMHO.The Customs are probably the best looking style of the CX range if that's what you like but they have the smallest fuel tank so you have to fill up more.Having ridden one I don't like the riding position/height/angle and handling and much prefer the more workman like larger tanked Standard or Deluxe which with my straight-ish bars handle bends very low.

There's not much mechanically different between them to be an issue.

My 2 cents

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.