Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 4 cx500s that im going to start prepping for a long trip to patagonia .. im gonna need to do all the same maintenance to all the bikes.. could someone give me a list of all the possible problems i could have and parts i should replace before the trip.. im thinking cam chains, tensioners, w.p. seals, stators with ignitech tires etc.. i figure 600 dollars per bike should get them where i need them, should i bring new coils, or replace the originals before leaving? im going to build case holders for pelican h2o tight cases.. starting in minneapolis minnesota ending in patagonia i figure 8 weeks to ride and explore, will be traveling fast through mexico though, any advise would be great...thanks

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
i have 4 cx500s that im going to start prepping for a long trip to patagonia .. im gonna need to do all the same maintenance to all the bikes.. could someone give me a list of all the possible problems i could have and parts i should replace before the trip.. im thinking cam chains, tensioners, w.p. seals, stators with ignitech tires etc.. i figure 600 dollars per bike should get them where i need them, should i bring new coils, or replace the originals before leaving? im going to build case holders for pelican h2o tight cases.. starting in minneapolis minnesota ending in patagonia i figure 8 weeks to ride and explore, will be traveling fast through mexico though, any advise would be great...thanks

Sounds like a blast,,seems like you have a pretty good idea of what you need.

You may find this thread helpful,,Building a long distance CX with LRCX

And this one,,Don't think twice it's alright. Vancouver-Argentina on a CX500

Best of luck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Sounds like a cool adventure... tell us more about it!

Are all 4 bikes for you, or will you have traveling companions?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Please carry your laptop and blog on the way keep us up to date it'll be fascinating to read. I have a good friend that's done solo trips like this on his touring bicycle to Fairbanks Alaska and so on. It's amazing to even read about the adventures let alone do them. My only prep tip would be to fit some run flat tires for the primitive roads you will encounter. Stay safe and enjoy.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Big Ditto on the Tires... I just changed mine without a tire machine but it took some serious air to get them to seat. Other than flats, the cooling syst would be my main concern. I'd get an accurate and reliable temp monitor and get rid of the seven volt regulated gauge. replacing the 30 year old plastic fan is also highly recommended and is usually an electric fan, radiator replacement... considering equatorial travel, Maybe even a beefier radiator

Also I'd carry whatever might be needed to fix a water leak in radiator, pipes, and hoses.

Other random thoughts;

Extra cash stashed in the breather filter box ...

Maybe an external oil cooler?

I'd either rebuild 100% of my electrics or replace them. Convert to LED lighting and reduce current draw any other way possible.

AGM or lithium batts would free up some space and weight ( maybe for a spare batt...
(or two)

Most important thing for me when far from home... 2 spare pairs of my Rx glasses
(not really kidding
)

SpF 1000
Enjoy your trip!

Added: I use pelicans... make sure the sealing o rings are good ( mine have all needed replacement after a couple years) and don't leave the air lock open when it's raining... and conversely, don't leave it closed for big altitude changes.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Get all the work done now and then get some mileage on the new and improved bikes just to make sure some critical o-ring wasn't left out by mistake.

I would like to know more about your trip. Are there four of you traveling? When do you depart? Besides speeding through Mexico, what about the other central American countries? Please tell all!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.