Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I just noticed that you have it listed as a CX500E. The CX500E (AKA Eurosport or CX500 Sports) (pic below) was only made for the '81 & '82 model years and wasn't sold in North America. they have completely different bodywork and "boomerang" Comstar wheels.
I think the confusion may come from the engine serial number beginning with "CX500E-". I don't know what Honda's engine numbers were supposed to mean but AFAIK the actual CX500E bikes have engine numbers beginning with "PC01E-".
I believe the '78 model was just called CX500 and is sometimes referred to as "standard" to differentiate from the later CX500C (Custom) and CX500D (Deluxe) models.
https://classic-motorbikes.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/IT2J6579-01.jpg
Ah... I was just basing that off the number that I was printed on the side of the cylinder block. I'll update that in my profile.

I do wish the E model had been sold in the states, or at very least been offered with the dual front disc as standard from the beginning.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,059 Posts
I don't know what Honda's engine numbers were supposed to mean but AFAIK the actual CX500E bikes have engine numbers beginning with "PC01E-".
The '78 CX serial numbers began with "CX500-" and "CX500E-". The "PC01-" format was used starting with either the '79 Standard or the Custom and Deluxe.
It's extremely rare that the frame and engine numbers match, by the way.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Most fluffy pillow double seats look horrible but that one strangely seems to look appropriate for the bike.
Do you know who made it ?

·
Registered
1978 CX500
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Most fluffy pillow double seats look horrible but that one strangely seems to look appropriate for the bike.
Do you know who made it ?
I don't, but I am actually trying to find out. The seat cover is ripped across the front, so I'm trying to figure out if it would be something that could either be fixed or if the seat cover would need to be entirely replaced.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,292 Posts
Any seat can be re-covered by a competent auto/marine upholsterer but if it was mine I'd do the duct tape thing and use it for a while to make sure there wasn't something I wanted changed before I looked for someone to do it.

·
Registered
1978 CX500
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Any seat can be re-covered by a competent auto/marine upholsterer but if it was mine I'd do the duct tape thing and use it for a while to make sure there wasn't something I wanted changed before I looked for someone to do it.
Yeah, that's kinda what I'm thinking for now. I'm gonna tape it up the best I can and ride it like it is for now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey everybody,

Just like the title suggests, I'm the new owner of a 1978 CX500 and I'm totally delighted to get a bike that I've wanted since I was a kid. My dad owned a CX500 when I was little and some of my earliest memories are riding around the yard with him. As I grew older I came to really appreciate the bikes from a conceptual standpoint because having a longitudinal-mounted shaft-driven bike just seems like a very elegant solution. My bike has just under 23,000 miles on the odometer, came with a 2-rider bucket seat (not the most attractive seat ever made, but I'm sure it's comfortable), and a non-matching windjammer fairing (which might be the most hideous looking fairing that could possibly go on the bike. It isn't running, but that's fine with me since I picked it up as a project and I hope to get it running while I wait to take a motorcycle safety course. The bike isn't pristine and there are some cosmetic issues that I am going to address, but mechanically it seems very sound (apart from being 43 years old and needing me to go through the carbs and replace some gaskets). I'm looking forward to participating in the forum and sharing my journey of fixing, riding, and enjoying my CX500.

View attachment 207622
I have to say I agree, the seat looks terrible AND very, very comfortable. I wonder if there are any comfortable, good looking seats out there? Congrats on the new purchase!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Remember what Billy Crystal used to say, "its better to look good than to feel good..." LOL!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
The seat on the std is fairly comfy....after 40 years the foam can be a bit saggy....
I have to confess i do like those saddleman seats on olderbikes like 1975 goldwings....

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,059 Posts
The seat on the std is fairly comfy....after 40 years the foam can be a bit saggy....
Here, that applies to the rider, too. 😕

Reactions: D-Fresh
21 - 32 of 32 Posts