Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

I've put a deposit down on a 1980 CX500 Deluxe - was not able to take possession yet because the person I met with (Person A) is selling it for a friend (Person B) and the title transfer from B to A was initiated on July 28th but has not yet been completed.

The bike has some easily addressed (I think) cosmetic issues - one of them is that the keylock on the gas tank is broken - currently, a screwdriver is being used to open it. The ignition lock is operational (Key Code 411).

Can anyone recommend a locksmith in the Twin Cities who can replace the gas tank lock with a new cylinder keyed to the same specs as the ignition (Key Code 411)?

Thanks,
Bob in St. Paul

· Registered
3,357 Posts
just as an aside...read post 3, 4
maybe you dont need the rekey...just any (fuel cap) barrel lock replacement...or maybe not even a replacement..... what's wrong with the tank cap lock?

· Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
710 Posts
Greetings!

I've put a deposit down on a 1980 CX500 Deluxe - was not able to take possession yet because the person I met with (Person A) is selling it for a friend (Person B) and the title transfer from B to A was initiated on July 28th but has not yet been completed.

The bike has some easily addressed (I think) cosmetic issues - one of them is that the keylock on the gas tank is broken - currently, a screwdriver is being used to open it. The ignition lock is operational (Key Code 411).

Can anyone recommend a locksmith in the Twin Cities who can replace the gas tank lock with a new cylinder keyed to the same specs as the ignition (Key Code 411)?

Thanks,
Bob in St. Paul
You could try Kat-Key down on 7th -probably have to go in person. They have been in business at least 75 years .Paul

· Registered
108 Posts
Kat Keys has bailed me out many times over the years... even a French m/c from the 50's... also a key shop on Central about 18th.... do you have a number on the ignition ?

Reactions: cubfanbob

· Registered
47 Posts
A good locksmith can make a Honda key with only the key code. I purchased a 1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe about 20 years ago and lost the keys the first week. All they needed was the code, they even made the Vetter locks on the fairing / bags from a code too!

· Registered
1 Posts
A good locksmith can make a Honda key with only the key code. I purchased a 1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe about 20 years ago and lost the keys the first week. All they needed was the code, they even made the Vetter locks on the fairing / bags from a code too!
It's important to note that the locksmith you choose should have the necessary tools, equipment, and knowledge to be able to key the new cylinder to the same specs as the ignition. It's also a good idea to ask for references or to check reviews from previous customers to ensure that you are dealing with a reputable and reliable locksmith like commercial locksmith Waterloo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts