Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whoever suggested that simple key locks picked up at a hardware store could be used to replace vetter saddlebag locks thanks. I spent $6 today for two and each had two keys so now I have 4 keys for the lockable saddlebags. The only thing I wish I had looked at harder was the flat spot that keeps the locks from turning in the holes. My set wasn't flat enough so I ended up having to grind them and the bags down a hair with the dremel. Then all I had to do was bend up the latch bracket. A lot cheaper than getting vetter replacements.

I only wish it was as simple to replace mine on the hondaline bags. But I don't leave anything in them that needs locking up.

·
Registered
82 Posts
BS - did you look into a getting a locksmith to rekey your Hondaline bags? I've got one lock that is different than the rest and it would be nice to have the all the same

Thom

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is why among other things I went to the Vetter setup on my bike. No plastic or metal hooks in the back, bigger,

and a little more friendly to work on. Plus no chrome hinges on the outside to get all rusty. The plastic panels

are all removable for easy repainting. Best of all, if I come across a decent set of Hondaline luggage, I can still

remove the luggage and brackets and pop them in place. Best of two worlds!

Oh yeah, kinda nice to have a trunk with a big pile of brake lights on it.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BS - did you look into a getting a locksmith to rekey your Hondaline bags? I've got one lock that is different than the rest and it would be nice to have the all the same

Thom

Thom I didn't look into a locksmith for my bags but I probably should. What I did instead was just take the securing latch from the lock off the latch so I could use it. I do still have the parts so I can go back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts