Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new here and just recently picked up a barn find 1982 GL500 (for the wonderful price of free). The bike sat for 13 years because the differential locked up on the PO while riding and caused the head of the final drive bolts to be sheared off. The rim has some damage from the incident but still has the end of the bolts in it. I was wondering if anyone has encountered this before or if anyone believes the rim is still salvageable. I will post some pictures of the bike and rim this evening.

Thanks in Advance,

Andy

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
1st thing I would do is check the engine.Click here,

http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl500/CXGLTappets.htm#CXGLTappets

and using the picture of the front engine cover you can get to the end of the crank shaft under a 17mm inspection cover and get a 17mm Ratchet and socket on the end of the crankshaft and turn clockwise to see if the engine turns with the gear shift in neutral.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,454 Posts
Welcome, Andy!

If you need help on your restoration, there's quite a number of members in the Twin Cities, plus the bottomless knowledge pool of this forum. You've got exactly nine months to get ready for Spring Ride '11.

What part of your rear wheel is damaged? If the hub is intact, I've got a decent rear wheel. I plan to do a spoke conversion on my dual-sport project, so eventually I'd be looking to trade for a damaged wheel before cutting my good one.

Sorry, but I'll be needing my rear drive unit.

R

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
How odd.

I have never ever heard of a CX final drive locking up

Bearings failing, splines stripping yes, but lock up never.

I'd be be very interested to see the result of that.

"head of the final drive bolts sheared off."

???

Most peculiar

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok heres what I've got,

Here's my bike, excuse the mess of wires it had a big ugly windjammer on it and removed and I need to find a rectangular headlight bucket!

Now the fun stuff, heres a shot of the wheel where its scared from the bolts being ripped out

The remainder of the bolts are still in the wheel, anyone think I'd be ok just removing the leftovers and throwing in new bolts?

Heres my final drive hub which appears to be all good

·
Registered
583 Posts
you might be, but why chance it. Wouldn't want a repeat action!

·
Registered
11,454 Posts
Now the fun stuff, heres a shot of the wheel where its scared from the bolts being ripped out

Ouch! I won't be trading for that wheel. The hub is the part I need to use.

I don't see much thread in those holes. I suspect those bolts were over-torqued sometime before they tore out. Don't risk trying to recover that. Wheels aren't too hard to find.

Also, judging by the breakage, that wheel was rolling backward when it broke. Or it was immobile, and the rest of the drive train wasn't. Seized brake, maybe?

Any news on the engine?

R

·
Registered
458 Posts
A worn down drive hub thingy,

A nice second hand one. Notice the square edges of the teeth.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
The reason I asked about the engine is when my 1st CX seized the engine it locked the rear wheel/drive until I managed to get it into neutral which was not easy as I was doing 70 Mph at the time

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I'd be suspicious that the cause of the "lockup" was a failed or falling apart drive hub/spline. I would replace the wheel, drive, and spline pair, nothing in those pics looks like it would be reliable or safe. You might find a decent setup for $125 + shipping. That would make the bike a great deal, since you got it free.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I'd be suspicious that the cause of the "lockup" was a failed or falling apart drive hub/spline. I would replace the wheel, drive, and spline pair, nothing in those pics looks like it would be reliable or safe. You might find a decent setup for $125 + shipping. That would make the bike a great deal, since you got it free.
agreed,

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Thats knackered for sure

Is it possible the damage was due to loose bolts on the drive flange?

you'd need the tyre to be glued to the road to strip those splines normally

Somehow my gut tells me it wasnt a sudden 'out of the blue' failure

Cant see the flange well enough to see if its Ok or not

Bears pics are a good example though

I've seen em wear out before due to ill fitting wheels/final drive and those

drive flanges are like rocking horse sh*t. NLA from Honda

I've thrown rear wheels away after removing the flange

Wheels and final drives are easy to find over here, hope they are there.

·
Registered
11,454 Posts
Thats knackered for sure

Is it possible the damage was due to loose bolts on the drive flange?
I was thinking of that after my last post. If the bolts backed part way out, they could chew out the edges just like that. That could be the result of stripping out the threads by over-torquing, which I still think was the case.

R

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Yep

Over torquing/stripping threads sounds quite plausible to me

then the intense back lash its subject to over time

caused it to eventually chew its way loose.

That, or not being tightened down properly feels like a more

realistic scenario than a sudden lock up which would ruin a back tyre

(and underpants
)

Still, for a freebie and if thats all it is, then its a

very worthwhile project indeed

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
These parts are not at all rare or expensive (used) in the US, unless of course, you are looking for some RIGHT NOW! Then the ads all disappear for a few weeks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm in a bit of a kink with the bike right now, I got they bike from a friend because his uncle was moving out of town and needed to get rid of the bike, I'm still waiting on keys and the title seeing as he packed them away with the move. Are these easy to hot-wire? I've changed the oil and plugs so far and I'm going to check the engine and tappets as Shep suggested but anything else I should check. I've already found a new rear drive unit and brake assembly. One weird thing is on the axle there is a bearing which seems to be stuck on.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Andy

·
Registered
458 Posts
Had a CX500 lock up on me too. Haven't had the engine apart, yet. But we believe its the dreaded Big End bearing failure. Also had a sphincter valve failure

Had a spare engine which will be swapped out. Always a good idea if you can get one for next to nothing. While your riding in the sunshine, you can come home and change out the rings, or mech seal or do up the heads. Then, in winter, swap.!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts