Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Riding home from my girl's house last night about midnight and out of no where a deer was in front of me. I missed it by mere inches. Had it been an adult deer I would have hit it hard. I was doing 50mph. I had never done much night riding because of deer, and now see that was a good thing. kinda skittish about staying that late at her house tonight. I saw 4 deer total, one ran beside the bike for a while before darting across the road. We need more deer hunters in this area and open season on does.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I took one out on a 450 Rebel, I was doing about 65-70 down a main road here, around midnight Nov. of 09, all I remember was seeing the deer, about 1/2 second or less of sliding, and then sitting up and wiggling my fingers and toes as a car was going around the bike and kept going. I never touched my head to the ground, it's just a blocked memory and I'm good with that. While I was waiting for my parents to come with a trailer, I found the marks on the road from the bike, and walked along it heel to toe and there was about 130 feet of sliding.

The next day I went to my friends house who was loaning me the bike, I pulled up in my parents car, and since I think I pulled a muscle in my thigh, I was using crutches, when I rang the door bell his girlfriend looked up and her eyes started tearing up right away, she knew something happened to me on the bike, there's no other reason a biker would go to another bikers house in a car, unless he had kids, and especially not on crutches. I told them and they made sure I was ok, asked how the bike held up, fortunately I had a full face strapped to the right side of the seat, and that kept the bike from touching the ground btw.

Over the next week or 2 I was examining the bike trying to figure out what happened, where the dent in the gas tank came from, etc. I determined that I hit her head with my windshield, snapping her neck, so the meat was still good, she made a mean stew and chili, along with lots of Venison Helpers. After taking the bike up and down my road carefully to make sure it was safe to ride, I brought it back to my friends house about 15 miles away, and on that ride, I found out the dent on the tank was from my knee.

I was EXTREMELY lucky, if I had hit anything but the deers head, I'd have been a goner, or at least wishing I was, and my friends would've hated themselves for letting me borrow the bike that did me in. I remember once I noticed my fingers and toes were moving, I looked at my right sleeve on my jacket, which I've had now for over 10 years, and it was shredded, it put a couple holes in the hoodie i had underneath it, and a couple small ones in my arm, one the size of a nickel, the other about the size of a dime.

When I got the CX's, the following Feb, and I started riding, every time I saw the glowing dot on a mailbox I'd start having flashbacks from Nam and shit lol, but it got better fairly quickly, still get nervous when I see them sometimes, but I can usually tell that it's not a deer right away.....

·
Registered
967 Posts
a friend of mine hit a deer going 70 on a Ninja zx-11, folded the forks completely under, nearly cut the deer in half. Said the only thing he could remember was the red and white light flopping around...he woke up in the dew soaked grass with his totalled bike right next to him. Dislocated shoulder broken should blade, arm, road rash cracked ribs and some knee cap damage. Lucky to be alive. fortunately most of his floppin around was on the grass as he was on the ouside lane of a turn.

he came up onto a van and slowed down, the deer waited for the van and decided to cross between him and the bike.

Glad you're ok...close call for sure. There are too many in my area as well. Most I've counted in a field in Brecksville reservation at one time was 28!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I live in the country and I know full well that deer ar a ver4y real hazard, not to mention wild hogs, cows, dogs, etc. I'm EXTREMELY careful when riding at night and I've seen lots of deer. No close calls yet, thank God.

I'm glad everyone that has had a too close encounter is alright!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Riding home from my girl's house last night about midnight and out of no where a deer was in front of me. I missed it by mere inches. Had it been an adult deer I would have hit it hard. I was doing 50mph. I had never done much night riding because of deer, and now see that was a good thing. kinda skittish about staying that late at her house tonight. I saw 4 deer total, one ran beside the bike for a while before darting across the road. We need more deer hunters in this area and open season on does.

Lost a friend that way. Hit a deer riding Harley road king. Was wearing helmet, a credible helmet not your standard harley brain bucket. DOA. Thank God you're ok.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Have a lot of problems with Deer around my area, and Im just outside a huge city (toronto). I dont ride at night as a rule, mainly for this reason, but also because thats when all the drunken assholes are out driving. Fortunatly, all my run in's with Deer are on my front lawn. Seems they really like my apple tree and come out of the valley to get them. While not dangerous to me directly, its sure annoying when they come to eat at 3:00am and the wifes two dogs go nuts watching them out the window (we have 2 Beagles). Sometimes I thing hitting one on my bike would get me a bit more rest LOL

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the reminder to us all Ookie. I too am north of Toronto and its ripe with deer up there. I hit one a few years back with our minivan. It was at night and he jumped out from the side right in front of me. No time to react just slam the brakes. I figure I hit it at about 50-60 km/h. It busted up the fan and pushed in the rad. At 50 60 KM/H !!! not to mention the hood damage. They are big chunks of brick wall even at low speeds. Be careful out there and ride safe all !!

·
Registered
264 Posts
wonder if those deer whistles work .. the kind you mount on cars .

I work shift work and use my bike to commute so about 2/3 of my time is night driving. I have wondered about deer whistles too. My mom says they just scare the deer into jumping out in front of you.(she drove over the road truck for 6 years)lucky for me the big insurence lobbyest and greed have goton the game commission to just about wipe out the deer herd here. I see more bear than deer. almost hit one of those last year. That would have been a sudden stop in the road!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
wonder if those deer whistles work .. the kind you mount on cars .
It is hard to say if they work,,easier to say if they don't.

I asked at the old forum once and someone, Rich I think, replied that his brother(or brother in law) had them on his bike and hit a deer that was in a

bunch that ran across the road in front of him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.