Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have a 1982 GLl500i and am looking to get a lithium ion battery for it, i just wanted to know if anyone had some suggestions of brands to use. I primarily wanted a lithium ion battery because i'v herd they are typically small and can be turned on their sides. That being said if anyone thinks the lithium ion is not the way to go i'd like to know because i'd say i am definitely not experienced with batteries. Sorry if this has already been discussed i couldn't find a thread on it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just put a Ballistic in to my 1980 CX500D, for the same reasons you mention. So far so good, but of course it's still early days.

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Charging perimeters are different for these batteries, and they are also not very fond of cold.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Personally, I would stay away from installing a Lithium Ion battery into a motorcycle. One small tear in the internal membrane, or a bad short circuit and you have either a fire or a battery explosion. Doesn't seem worth the risk on a 40 year old motorcycle.

Side note: co-worker who uses an E-Cig, powered by a Lithium Ion battery, just had it explode in his hand this morning. He's at the ER now with 3rd degree burns on his hand.

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
24,209 Posts
they suck large in the cold i had one in my goldwing for 4 days in the winter that was enough for me never again

and yes as far as i know you need a new mofset regulator to keep the battery happy as iyt has a higher float charge than the old regulator

can handle

·
Registered
182 Posts
Look at this website: sparckmoto.com

They sell a Li Io battery that they say works just fine. Better ask them first specifics before you buy.

In my 650 dirt bike I'm running a SHORAI for a couple of years now with no problems whatsoever. Starts right up even in Winter. (and didn't explode yet....!)

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
Considering my technical lack of knowledge with LI batteries, I do have experience with the drawbacks in some applications, and I really think the AGM is the best platform for altered location/placement on the CX bike series. There really is an inherent fire issue for such an exposed environment. LI batts need a safe home....and well protected from transferring harm to other components. And that does not cover the charging issues at all.

·
Super Moderator
21,158 Posts
We've had spates of house fires in Oz caused by rechargable lithium ion battery devices. Particularly Chines hoverboards, but also phones and laptop computers. Once the reaction has started they all but impossible to put out and burn HOT.

Puts me right off the idea of using them in a bike.

They are picky about their charging too and the original CX reg/rec is probably not tightly controlled enough for the job.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought a LI battery for my 79 Cx500 Custom about two years ago. In about six months the case split open. Since it was guaranteed, I got my money back. I was told that perhaps my bike overcharged the battery causing it to expand. Rather than give me a replacement battery, the manufacturer just refunded my money.

·
Registered
55 Posts
20141216_105921.jpg
Here is the Lithium battery I spoke of above. It still had power as you can see, but the case split open.

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
View attachment 34855
Here is the Lithium battery I spoke of above. It still had power as you can see, but the case split open.
Consider yourself VERY lucky to have recovered your money with no harm to you, and hopefully anyone or anything else.

LI's have their place, but as such, not in this format.

Maybe the day will come when they figure the stuff out like they did with LED lighting.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Glad I saw this thread!
Looks like I'll be taking the Ballistic out of the bike and going back to the AGM. I had no idea!

So is the main issue with Lithium battery the fact that the older charging system aren't as consistent in power generation as the newer bikes? I found this response on the Ballistic site in the FAQ...

"EVO batteries are more sensitive to variations in charging system outputs than lead-acid batteries with a higher amp/hour values. Vintage bikes from the late 60’s to the early 80’s sometimes have charging systems that are not as consistent as modern charging systems. These primitive charging systems sometimes have voltage outputs that exceed or are below the voltage limits of an EVO battery. We strongly recommend using the EVO Tester to check compatibility before using any lithium battery in a vintage bike. EVO batteries are NOT compatible with positive ground systems.."

·
Super Moderator
21,158 Posts
I don't know much about use of these batteries but the footage I've seen of hoverboards and laptops burning puts me right off of them.

These things don't just burn, they have a thermal reaction like thermite. The chances of putting your bike out would be pretty much nil.

Haveto admit, I've yet to hear of a bike going upbut expect it's a matter of time.

Mosfet reg/recs might help but I'm sticking with AGM.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, can anyone post a pic of their bike if they have an AMG/lead acid batterie in the cowl? I originally wanted a lithium ion battery because its small and I wanted a small cowl as well, but it sounds like I should go with a AMG battery so i may try and fit it under the engine and go brat style seat if the cowl is to big for me. Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Lithium Ferrous Phosphate batteries are the safest, but their size is larger that LI batteries of the same AH. I know many want the smallest battery, especially with custom work, you just have to be as careful picking a battery as you are with frame modifications. If you want to use LI, then expect to be sensible and replace the charging system on the bike to reduce the hazard. Also, one important spec, LI are good for about 3 years FROM MANUFACTURE, about 1/2 what a AGM or LFP will last. Running a LI with a CX charging system is about as smart as doing a triple bypass and swapping the cam chain for a used bike chain.
If you REALLY need to save space, use an AGM and replace the CX engine with a Briggs and Stratton Mower engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts