Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1980 CX500C (cafe in progress)
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade to a lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery from SSB Powersports for my 1980 CX500, I'm just unsure what model I should go with.

A few things to consider: I'll be installing a RaeSan Hall Effect ignition kit soon and I'll be upgrading to Murray's MOSFET R/R as well to keep things under control as I know lithium batteries don't play nice with the original antique wiring. I've also seen that a lot of guys use the Shorai LFX14A2-BS12 without issue (210 cca, 14A max charge) but I've struggled to find one in Aus and don't want to have to deal with overseas shipping at the moment.

I've read that 190 cca is a recommended minimum for the 500, ideally 210+. I've found several models that seem good with similar weight and dimensions, and all between 210 - 260 cca. The biggest differences is the "regular charge" and "max charge", and I'm not sure what I should go for in this regard. I'm assuming higher max charge is better to prevent overloading the battery but I'm not sure that's exactly how that works. Here's the models I've been looking at:
The LH5L-BS - 220cca, 1.5A reg. charge, 12A max charge
The LH7L-BS - 260cca, 1.5A reg. charge, 18A max charge
The LFP12-BS - 210cca, 2A reg. charge, 18A max charge
And the LFPZ10-S - 240cca, 2A reg. charge, 20A max charge

I'm thinking of going for the LH5L-BS as it's the smallest and lightest with decent cca, but it's got a lower max charge than the popular Shorai, will that cause issues? Can the max charge be too high or would all of these work alright? I might be over analyzing this but would prefer to take all precautions to stop my bike burning to the ground haha.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you're overthinking it. I'm running this one and I'm still running the stock R/R....I have a mosfet regulator I need to swap in but just haven't gotten around to it. It's only 150cca and does just fine. I did run new #8 lines for the start circuit and ground but that's it.
Fair enough, I’m just going off what I’ve read from others which included a hell of a lot of warnings, and I’m putting a lot of work into the bike so I thought it best to play it safe. Plus I’d like to know what’s what with these batteries, get a better idea of what I’m doing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'll go with the LH5L-BS, but can anyone confirm that this one should work fine with a MOSFET R/R and RaeSan ignition? Not sure if the ignition actually has an effect on the charging system but as I said I wanna play it safe and learn how it all works together.

·
Registered
438 Posts
you're correct - ignition has no effect on the charging system - as long as there is a battery connected - its all good.
Rayman

Reactions: Some_Doofus

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I'll pull the trigger on this battery and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1978 Honda CX500
6 Posts
I think you're overthinking it. I'm running this one and I'm still running the stock R/R....I have a mosfet regulator I need to swap in but just haven't gotten around to it. It's only 150cca and does just fine. I did run new #8 lines for the start circuit and ground but that's it.
Hey Mackenzie, how is that battery (WPS Fire Power HJTZ5S-FP-IL Featherweight Lithium Motorcycle Battery ? link isn't working now) out. Any problems with the stock R/R? Thx

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey Mackenzie, how is that battery (WPS Fire Power HJTZ5S-FP-IL Featherweight Lithium Motorcycle Battery ? link isn't working now) out. Any problems with the stock R/R? Thx
I'm running this one:

Been on the bike over a year, runs awesome, hasn't given me any trouble at all. It's always cool to the touch and the bike always starts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts