Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to get a battery for my bike, but since removing the air-box figured get the lithium type batteries because can be mounted at different angles.

I like the Ballistic, 8-cell Evo2, but read online someone said that their warranty only covers it if used in a bike on their site, and looking at their site, no CX500's.

Anyone have any experience with the Ballistic? Warranty? maybe switch to the Shorai LFX14L5-BS12 instead? Shorai does list the CX500 on their site when doing a battery search by vehicle.

Rather Ballistic though, bit cheaper and I like the threaded mounts better.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ug, I'll just get something that works for now then... still no idea if this thing even starts yet, don't want to start swapping out half the parts before I start it. :D

Free shipping in Canada over $60... not bad. Website reminds me of the websites in the '90s though, very retro. :D

So, for an AGM, will it work on it's side? Saw this post and sounds like it's a no-no for more than 12h. POST

Recommend anything? Looking at the Optima batteries and very pricey, these seem ok price wise, not sure what fits though

Yuasa Battery 1 SASKBATTERY.COM

Another thread said "Battery is a 12V 14AH and should be approx 6 1/5" high ( 165mm ) , 3 1/5 ( 88mm ) deep and 5 3/8 ( 135mm ) wide. You just need to make the terminals are the right way round i.e. Positive on right neg on left otherwise you may need to modify the cables to suit fitment."

I had no battery with my bike so can't look at it to know what was in it before.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
since you have no battery tray and can move the mounting around pick anything in the size you want as long as the AH is close.....I have a 12AH that I used but I wasn't running anything other than lights and spark.
Website might be old looking but they have good prices and I purchased there before

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, the Motocross website for the battery, only lists CX500 if you pick 1978 it seems, but listed this one as the replacement.

YUASA YTX14AHL-BS $95.00 FREE FREIGHT SASKBATTERY.COM

But, not seeing AGM, just Maintenance Free...

... I am seeing a battery that might work in my old Omnibot, from the '80s... remember those?

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I noticed the same seller had 2 different kits, and that thread was for a GL650 so, wasn't sure if what I would have needed or maybe a different kit.... FH012AA or FH022AA, or something totally different.

Emailed the battery place about that $55 battery. Does seem odd that the part number implies 14ah but description says 12ah.... figured I'd ask. Maybe buy a watch battery to get me up to the $60 mark for free shipping.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
SASKBATTERY replied back

The part# does not infer the ah in most cases

next size up is an 18ah, here is the link
AGM20CH-BS/YTX20CH-BS SASKBATTERY.COM
Would that work? I don't want to assume anything for the battery, though from what I've read, the higher the AH the better the battery. I thought I would simply buy a Ballistic battery, stick it in, done... but apparently not the case. :)

Also, was reading more on batteries, and THIS SITE says

On the downside, AGMs need a charging system capable of pumping out at least 14.0 volts, which may make them unsuitable for use on some older bikes, and they can be damaged if overcharged.
Does this fall into the same issue(s) as having a lithium battery installed?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
No, is simply means that changing the reg/rec to a mosfet is a good idea as they will maintain a smoother charge rate and not overcharge the battery.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I made the swap to the Ballistic Evo 8 Lithium on the stock charging system and have had zero issues
It's reading posts like that that make me second guess everything. If all posts were unanimous, I'm fine, otherwise I'm always wondering if worth the gamble. :D

From now until winter, the bike won't be on the road... just the back yard when I learn to drive it, so over charge may not be an issue?

Ideally I'd want to a Ballistic after the bike is running and I mod it a bit (step 1, make it run | step 2, drive it a bit | step 3, clean it up and modify a bit in winter) but for now I'll get the AGM battery. For testing and running it'll be fine, and way cheaper than a Ballistic plus the mofset upgrade which seems to cost about as much as the battery.

Hopefully last question... was on the YUASA website for some info about the AGM batteries being on their side since if anyone would know, it would be them.

Yuasa Batteries - FAQ's

So, factory done is ok, self done may leak... I emailed the Saskbattery.com site again (very friendly, very fast responses) and they said

We activate them here, same as Yuasa they will not leak and are tested before shipment.
So, my question is... them activating the battery, isn't that the same as me doing it? They've done it before I'm certain, but them doing it doesn't make it a "factory activated" battery, correct? I'm sure that factory activated ones probably have something extra done to the seals. As fast/friendly as they've been, their replies always seem to raise another question.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
It's reading posts like that that make me second guess everything. If all posts were unanimous, I'm fine, otherwise I'm always wondering if worth the gamble. :D

From now until winter, the bike won't be on the road... just the back yard when I learn to drive it, so over charge may not be an issue?

Ideally I'd want to a Ballistic after the bike is running and I mod it a bit (step 1, make it run | step 2, drive it a bit | step 3, clean it up and modify a bit in winter) but for now I'll get the AGM battery. For testing and running it'll be fine, and way cheaper than a Ballistic plus the mofset upgrade which seems to cost about as much as the battery.

Hopefully last question... was on the YUASA website for some info about the AGM batteries being on their side since if anyone would know, it would be them.

Yuasa Batteries - FAQ's

So, factory done is ok, self done may leak... I emailed the Saskbattery.com site again (very friendly, very fast responses) and they said

So, my question is... them activating the battery, isn't that the same as me doing it? They've done it before I'm certain, but them doing it doesn't make it a "factory activated" battery, correct? I'm sure that factory activated ones probably have something extra done to the seals. As fast/friendly as they've been, their replies always seem to raise another question.
I've purchased my AGM from Sask battery for my bike, and not only are they knowledgeable and one of the cheapest, they actually do only activate and test them prior to leaving their warehouse, so they are fresh rather from being activated and sitting on a shelf until it is sold. All you need to do once receiving it hook it up to your bike. Simple.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got my AGM from SaskBat months ago... old thread. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts