Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So, I'm about to get back into working on the cycle. It's a 1981 cx500. Long story short, I removed the rear cover, replaced the stator, and now I want to make sure everything is lined up correctly so that the bike starts right up. If you want to know more you can read my post from aug. Of 2010 "outofideas" Had some tips to shim the stator with washers to make sure it's to the oem level, which I'll do (although if you have some more tips or advice in that area I'm all ears). I'll make sure the impeller washer is there, and I have an oem gasket ready to go. I guess I'm asking what exactly needs to be lined up, what exactly should it look like, are the any visual resources like photos that are available? I'm only interested in what needs to be lined up inside the rear cover, because once I bolt that on, I'm pretty confident I can take it from there. Your help, time, and suggestions are much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
there is not much to line up - it all just bolts back together the way it came apart..

my suggestions would be

use a small amount of loctite on the three stator bolts, also make sure the pick up coils are treated the same way - I personally had a disasterous reassembly some time ago, where one of the pick up bolts did come loose...

make sure when placing the wires back through the rear cover there is some slack, and seal this area very well with some silastic, mainly between the lower and upper rubber grommet.

make sure you have the timing coils also lined up if you loosened them - the small punch mark should line up at the top.

when replacing the rear cover oil up the gear slector shaft, and fit a new seal. make sure there is a metal shim on either side of the starter reduction gear - they are easily misplaced on disassembly.

put two bolts in to hold the rear cover in place - then make sure you can select all gears before the motor goes back in the bike.

some sealant also around the upper water pipes won't hurt, and or new O rings there, also if you have a manual adjust camchain - do the adjusting bolt "O" ring as well.

have you checked the camchain for wear and replaced the water pump/seal?

good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts