Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am looking to boost the performance of my CX by replacing the stock wheels with lighter ones. In my research I have found sport bike wheels that are incredibly light (as low as 5lbs) - and ridiculously expensive (as much as $1800). I am wondering:

Is a lightweight wheel swap feasible/ worth it?
What wheels would you recommend?
Is there a "middle ground" wheel that say is 10lbs lighter than stock but only cost $200)
Can I swap just one and receive noticeable performance benefits?
Should it be the front or the rear? Are there advantages to both/ which is better for handling?
Are there other avenues I should explore for performance boosting?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
Maybe you should define what you mean by "performance increase". The spendy wheels you speak of may be light, but how durable are they? Lighter wheels will affect much more in the geometric and dynamic areas, considering the change in the center of gravity, and possibly the rake and trail. I doubt you will go any faster with lighter wheels, at least not measurably.

Now, if you were to weigh in at #350+- lbs. the dynamics get even more convoluted, so other adjustments might be more concerning.

·
Registered
628 Posts
If you are looking to increase performance by reducing mass ( which will marginally increase acceleration but not top speed) I would suggest that the cheapest way would be to lose the few extra kilos that most adults in the first world carry on their body. The easiest way to reduce mass would be to only fill the tank to 1/2 way.
Either way would give you the same performance result ie next to unmeasurable as swapping the wheels.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Can u say ....mikuni

1 - 8 of 8 Posts