Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the new issue of motorcycle consumer news, they had a review of some lithium ion batteries made by Shorai LFX, the one they reviewed was 18Ahr, and only weighed 2 pounds! The lead acid batter of the same capacity weighed more than 15 pounds.

They are much smaller as well, so I thought the Cafe crowd might find it interesting, might be able to stuff a smaller battery out of sight, yet still have the same capacity and lighter weight.

Example, the battery replacement for the CX500 custom as listed on their site weighs 1.6 lbs. (730 grams)

http://www.shoraipower.com/s-55346-CX500C.aspx

Mike

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't help...they are out of stock!

Yeah, I saw that though I suspect someone who could find them in stock somewhere, apparently they are popular.

Mike

·
Registered
977 Posts
That just goes to show that you can't beat cubic dollars.

·
Registered
724 Posts
for 153.00 it better by a glass mat... that dispenses sunshine and oral sex on command! i paid 90 bucks for a glass mat and i thought that was too much

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
for 153.00 it better by a glass mat... that dispenses sunshine and oral sex on command! i paid 90 bucks for a glass mat and i thought that was too much

Lithium-ion batteries are the pinnacle of battery technology. No acid, can be mounted in any orientation, completely maintenance free and should last a very long time when compared with any acid-filled battery.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Lithium-ion batteries are the pinnacle of battery technology. No acid, can be mounted in any orientation, completely maintenance free and should last a very long time when compared with any acid-filled battery.

I don't know about 'glass mats and sex' but I too am looking for a battery that doesn't need replacing every 2 or 3 years. As I've said in other posts... The original battery that came with my bike wasn't replaced till 1990. I got the better part of 8 years out of it, and 100,000 km. Ever since then, I've been on a battery marry-go-round. No matter who says what about their batteries, they never guarantee more than 1 year, and they die after 2 years before 3 years - If these Lithium-ion batteries last for 8 years (like they suggest) that's 4 x the cost of other batteries to play with, and 1/4 x the aggravation of dead starts.

·
Registered
724 Posts
i got an agm battery on my bike last summer for 98 bucks at batteries plus. 2 year free replacement warranty. its completely sealed and i actually have it mounted on its side laying on the swing arm frame.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
In Television field production our jobs depended on "good" batteries as shore power and genny's are sometimes noisy and not always avail. Initially it was ni-cads, heavy and prone to one cell pole reversal making the whole pack useless. also needed proper complete 1.1v per cell discharcharge recharge to keep capacity to max. IMHO, they were the "Merde du Batterie du Jour" .... I used them sparingly to power my audio gear.... opting for throw away alkalines and their slow linear discharge rates... Expensive, but reliable.

Then Came NI Mh... A little lighter, no discharge before recharge consideration and generally a longer life cycle before trashing. I still have 5 Np-1 13.3 V Ni Mh batteries that are 5+ years old, and two are kaput.

Then Came Lithium ION ... WOW... almost nothing weight wise compared to the 6lb batts that we used to hang off 28lb cameras. much longer run times.... 3 times the cost of NIMH and they require a "special" lithium battery charger which is also $. Many operators bought them as carrying ten pounds less over a ten + hour day is worth the $ back wise...

Some of the new LiOns seemed to have short lives in those early days 2003-4... there were also Some reports of spontanious combustion and fires with lithium. We abused them every way imaginable... seen one dropped in a swimming pool.

I'm going to wait a while until these prove themselves in high current draw apps (starter motor) and the price goes down... I don't know what the diff is between the Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer... aanyone?

I predict just as we are looking at the end of most incandescent lighting in favor of LED and CFL and maybe OLEDS... We also will soon see the end of most throw away alkaline, carbon, and leakable lead acid batteries in favor of Lithium Unobtaniums

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
In Television field production our jobs depended on "good" batteries as shore power and genny's are sometimes noisy and not always avail. Initially it was ni-cads, heavy and prone to one cell pole reversal making the whole pack useless. also needed proper complete 1.1v per cell discharcharge recharge to keep capacity to max. they were the "Merde du Batterie" I used them sparingly to power my audio gear.... opting for throw away alkalines and their slow linear discharge rates... Expensive, but reliable.

Then Came NI Mh... A little lighter, no discharge before recharge consideration and generally a longer life cycle before trashing. I still have 5 Np-1 13.3 V Ni Mh batteries that are 5+ years old, and two are kaput.

Then Came Li Po's... WOW... almost nothing weight wise compared to the 6lb batts that we used to hang off 28lb cameras. much longer run times.... 3 times the cost of NIMH and they require a "special" lithium battery charger which is also $$$.

I'm going to wait a while until these prove themselves in high current draw apps (starter motor) and the price goes down...

I predict just as we are looking at the end of most incandescent lighting in favor of LED and CFL and maybe OLEDS... We also will soon see the end of most throw away alkaline, carbon, and leakable lead acid batteries in favor of Lithium Unobtaniums

As far as i know, there isnt anything special about a LI-ION battery charger. need something that output a DC current about 1.5-2 volts higher than the battery puts out and all is well.

(when our power was out for a week, I cut a phone charger apart, hooked it to 4 AA batteries and used it to charge my phone )

·
Registered
163 Posts
Holy shit expensive!

no it's not. i paid 130.00 bucks for an agm battery for my wing and it's got about a two or three year life span. if the lithium lasts 10 years with as little maintenance as they say then it's way cheaper in the long run. the next battery any one of my bikes needs is going to be lithium.

Ravyn

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.