Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I start my 1982 Gl500i when it is cold, the head light goes out but come right

back on when the bike starts, is this a sign of a weak battery? or is this just normal?

Ev

GL 500i

MI

·
Registered
190 Posts
Totally normal. There's circuitry arranged in a way that diverts juice away from the light so that the starter will have more oomph when it is energized. There are folks here who will explain exactly how it works. Their brains are more electric than mine.

Hoppy

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Totally normal. There's circuitry arranged in a way that diverts juice away from the light so that the starter will have more oomph when it is energized. There are folks here who will explain exactly how it works. Their brains are more electric than mine.

Hoppy

Thanks for the reply!

Ev

gl500i

MI.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,513 Posts
The START button has two contacts, one (normally open) in the starter relay circuit and one (normally closed) in the headlight circuit. When you press the button the normally open contact closes and the normally closed contact opens so that the headlight is turned off when the starter motor is running.

It doesn't actually divert current from the headlight to the starter as much as simply prevent the headlight from consuming power that the starter needs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts