Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to pick up a small aftermarket fairing for my 1980 CX500C. I intend to use this bike mainly as a commuter, 70 miles round trip, to and from work. Of course, the occasional weekend jaunt is in order. I am a family man, so I need to be home at night; therefore, most jaunts will be quick day trips.

I do like the full Vetters for protection, including the Vindicator (I think that is the name for the smaller, budget model), but I have always leaned a bit more to the smaller, bullet type of fairing. Shoei used to make some decent fairings and I see a few NOS models for sale on eBay. I also saw a couple of interesting fairings and windshields at JC Whitney. I want to strike a good balance between looks, cost and performance (don't we all?).

Suggestions? I am not really interested at the moment in storage or stereo gear - I am not ready to add more of an electrical load to my system until I am sure it is strong.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
You'll probably get several differing opinions here, but I've been really happy with the SlipStreamer on my CX.( I think the model is the S-01) The only drawback has been the mounting hardware they use isn't as good as others. It's light weight compared to the fuller fairings.

On G-Loria (GL500 Silverwing Interstate) the full fairing is great for fuller wind protection, but it also keeps a lot more heat in near you during the warmer days.

Costs will vary quite a bit between the choices, so many folks go budget, and sometimes end up disappointed. It's all a balancing game. I got my CX one about 8 or 9 years ago on sale for about $60 IIRC.

·
Registered
602 Posts
If you can find one, the Vetter Quicksilver looks great/works great on a CX500C. I think so anyway.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Littletrike2, thanks for the links - that will make for some nice reading material later.

Ramprat06, thanks for your observations - the Slipstream is the brand that I was looking at on JC Whitney. The model I was considering covers the hand grips a bit. Your price is excellent - the one I am considering, new, full-price, from Whitney is well north of $100. Before spending that much, I really want some feedback. I would like to think that Slipstream would provide some substantial hardware for that much money.

I had forgotten about the Quicksilver. Does that fairing incorporate a square headlight?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
tensleep... I don't see where you put your location in your profile- so forgive me for asking if you're close enough to JCW to go look at the fairings?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tensleep... I don't see where you put your location in your profile- so forgive me for asking if you're close enough to JCW to go look at the fairings?

My location is up - no, I don't think I am close to JCW - aren't they in Chicago?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
LaSalle, IL- used to be Chicago. The big tent sale is coming up so if you were close enough I was going to say it would be a good time to look @ the fairing if it's in stock, and maybe find a few good deals!

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i bought the slipstreamer turbo -05 will be here on friday i had bought the national cycle street shield and did not like it but this is the one i bought after returning the other one

Yup, that one caught my eye and then there is another model that has sharper angles that interested me as well. I would really like your impression when you get your new slipstream installed.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Two Pics....the first is a pic of my 650E with a slipstreamer fairing, as placed by the previous owner. The angle of attack has been reduced. I need to "straighten" the angle of the windshield to match the front fork angle. The windshield works well, but will be better when it's more upright. If you're considering commuting, you will want the protection, especially when moving in the rain. I've also found the Oxford all weather side bags useful, although I'd rather have hard bags...always something to consider...

This is really what I'm looking for ...more of a sport touring look. I believe this is a "Pichler" fairing, made originally in Germany. Tough to find this ones now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes, I liked those Pichler's and Kiem's (Keim's) sport fairings from the early 80's/90's. I still have my Kiem full fairing that I had on my 1985, Honda Sabre, 700cc, V-4. I had a dealer near me back round that time and I really liked this lightweight set-up verus the "heavy" Honda fairngs for the Sabre's, V-65/V-4/CB900F/GL500/GL650. I still have the cataloge for Kiem and they had some mounted on the CX's/GL's and a host of other USA and Euro bikes. Me thinks they went out of business like Pichler.

Most times I just took the bottom section off as it was too hot on the legs when temps got past 60 degree's. But in the winter time....aaaaaah, it was very welcomed.

LT2

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Johnny Canuck,

That Slipstream in the first picture is just the windshield, correct? The headlight cowl is separate?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Littletrike2...if you ever hear of a Pichler or similar fairing available for the CX bikes, PLEASE let me know.

Tensleep... the CX 650E came with a "bikini" fairing from the factory. I believe Honda's CBR 900's used the same fairing. It was little more than an aerodynamic and stylized attempt about the rectangular headlight to cut airflow, plus provide a supposed weather proof environment for your dash instruments. That was it! The original bikini fairing was fitted with a small smoked acrylic plastic piece on the top that had the appearance of a very mini windshield. It wasn't a windshield. SEE FIRST PIC BELOW. My previous owner either broke that piece of plastic or didn't like the look, and instead taped in a thin white flexible piece of plastic to conform to the shape of the fairing. It doesn't look good and is something I'll look forward to changing when and if I ever elect to repaint.

What the previous owner did do that I like is the installation of that windshield. As I said earlier, I just need to obtain longer support arms inorder to "push" the windshield forward a bit. It doesn't look too bad, but maybe the black piece of moulding along the bottom of the windshield would be better suited if it was white.

My bike below

Other fairings....the one immediately below is on a honda sabre

Another fairing

·
Registered
164 Posts
Johnny, haven't seen any for a long time, but there is a couple of local "vintage days" hosted by local motorcycle clubs. Maybe I'll ask a few of those guys IF they remeber seeing any on bikes or for sale. Will inform you IF I find anything.

The mini-sport fairing pictured was also on the CB1100F model here in the US. I kinda know as I installed a few of those on those bikes...when new. Might look at www.airteck-streamling.com in the Honda section as they still make these things.

Thanks for the pic of the V-65 with the Pichler. Often wondered what my 1985, V-65 (same colors too!) would look like. I had both the V-65 and the smaller 700cc Sabre 1985 models in the same colors too at the same time!!! Riding buddies never knew which bike I was riding!

Maybe...some day if I'm not too dumb or busy I could make a CD disc of the Kiem cataloge and send you a copy. Mmm, not sure I'm thta smart, but could try.

LT2

·
Registered
837 Posts
Littletrike2:

Thanks. Where in PA are you....Altoona, Harrisburg, Gettysberg area? I'm hoping to actually ride my bike to NC later this year, September'ish, and I do go through Harrisburg.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Johnny,

I thought I put an answer to your question as to where I'm located last night. But looks like it didn't get into computer??? Maybe I was asleep at the key board again!

Located 25 miles south of Harrisburg in York,PA. Very close to the HD assembly plant on Rt.30. You probably come down I-81s most times to get to Harrisburg/Gettysburg, right?? Maybe going to G-burg another way is needed so you can ride some nice roads to get there.

Get an e-mail to me when your coming down this way...maybe meet for breakfast near I-83/HD.

LT2

·
Registered
710 Posts
Goodmorning everyone just an update on the windshield,
i think it is great!!!! works good i need to fiddle with it a bit to get it correct but it works very nice the slipstream turbo is a great buy. makes the ride alot more quite by at least 50% wind hitting my body is reduced by over 50% also. does not stop all the wind but definitly does an awesome job. well longer ride to come with more info yesterday we had some interesting crosswind while i took her for a 15 minute ride, will make my finale conclusions in the next few days. I like the look on the bike mine came in clear, maybe i will put some chrome trim around the edge, so it looks finished came from factory without. but all in all seems to be awesome so far makes the bike look completly different now. well thats all for now enjoy the weekend PS i like where the windshield hits the headlight it has a gasket there and seals up against the headlight stops the wind from getting under and whistling very clever. if this is as close to a real fairing that i will get at this time i say it works for me.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Tjjck:

Thanks for the Kijiji posting. This seller was originally asking $200 for the Turbo fairing - about 2 weeks ago. I was following it but gave up based on the asking price. I know these fairings are rare, but he's dropped to $150. Hummm....maybe he'd take $100? It's been raining in Toronto for the last 4 days. Motorcycling is probably last on everyone's mind. Maybe a phone call might snag this for $100????

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.