Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Elusive? I put one on my CX650 chopper way back in 2006.

T-fitting on the engine:

Mounted and easily visible, even if it's not on the gauge cluster.

Charles.
I meant less common... than a simple warning light and more useful....as you can see changes develop as pre warning...

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just a minor comment on the temp senders....you may find that you may want to revise thread types/compatability .....
Anything thats Japanses designed will often have a PT 1/8 sender. (Which in not NPT)....so youll need a less conmon adapter either at the thermostat or at the rad hose.
The adapters are all over eBay.

·
Registered
CX400c 1984?
5 Posts
i have this on the thingy.

Displays tach, speed, neutral, high beam, direction indicators and I have the fuel gauge operating as temp.

It also has gear indicator if you can use it.

It has no oil pressure light. Mine is mounted between the fuse box and gauge.

I've been happy with it. Speedo seems accurate and steady once set up {I used 5 magnets}. Can display in MPH or KPH.

I will be using these again.
And cheap, how did you mount it to the triple? Off the shelf bracket? And those magnets, jb weld?

·
Registered
287 Posts
i have this on the thingy.

View attachment 211497

Displays tach, speed, neutral, high beam, direction indicators and I have the fuel gauge operating as temp.

It also has gear indicator if you can use it.

It has no oil pressure light. Mine is mounted between the fuse box and gauge.

I've been happy with it. Speedo seems accurate and steady once set up {I used 5 magnets}. Can display in MPH or KPH.

I will be using these again.
i use the dame setup(y)

·
Super Moderator
23,405 Posts
And cheap, how did you mount it to the triple? Off the shelf bracket? And those magnets, jb weld?
I made a bracket from aluminium sheet to mount it to the ignition switch mounting bolt holes under the triple clamp.

Yes, JB weld to attach the magnets to the hub rivets. The gauge came with one magnet but I used 5. I mounted the hall sensor and magnets to the rear wheel with the pickup under the front of the final drive unit.

Gauge is programmable per number of magnets used.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Helmet Automotive design

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,741 Posts
I drilled & tapped a hole in the caliper bracket for the sensor.
Automotive lighting Bicycle part Automotive tire Electrical wiring Automotive exterior

I mounted the magnet in a slot in the brake disc carrier on Eccles (in the 3rd slot ahead of the fork in this pic). The GoldWing doesn't have slots in the carriers so I drilled a hole for its magnet.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
5,339 Posts
Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
210 Posts
I welded a bung into the water transfer tube shown below for temperature; I don't actually remember where the stock sensor location was or why I couldn't use it. Been too long. This was in the middle of building the bike - yes I have replaced the carb boots!

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exhaust

This was the old Trail Tech Striker setup, which is now behind a DRZ400 headlight shroud. Orange light is the shift light, there is a hidden red LED for oil pressure using the stock sensor. No pics of the current setup unfortunately, but it's much cleaner than this was.
Fuel tank Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
No, I haven't until just now. I checked out Rae San's gauges and they look okay, but they're drop ins for original gauges. My goal is to save the weight of the stock gauges and cables, and go with something trim that tucks in and won't get bashed around too bad if the bike falls over.

Charles.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yeah, but that speedometer is nowhere near accurate unfortunately.

Charles.
It works great for me. It's mechanical and has the proper ratio.

I'm also not sure how accurate something has to be to stay with the flow of traffic, as the speedometer is honestly not used for most of my commutes. More of a legality, really.

·
Administrator
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
It works great for me. It's mechanical and has the proper ratio.

I'm also not sure how accurate something has to be to stay with the flow of traffic, as the speedometer is honestly not used for most of my commutes. More of a legality, really.
because I tested that model and it was actually a 4:1 ratio, not the proper Honda ratio no matter what it said on the gauge. And it was quite a bit slower than my gps.

Charles.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,741 Posts
Are you sure you aren't thinking of the tachometer?
All 4 big Japanese bike makers use the same speedometer ratios:
2240 RPM = 60 MPH
2330 RPM = 100 Km/h

Suzuki tachs are 1:4 and Yamaha and Kawasaki 1:5.
Honda generally used 1:7 for engines below 750cc and 1:4 for 750cc and larger but Motofaction says that the CX family use 1:4.

·
Administrator
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Nope, I tested two of their speedometers several years ago. One for a harley, marked with "2:1" (not 4:1, my bad) and one for a honda, marked "2240rpm=60mph". I put the cable in my drill and spun them to 3000 rpm, and they both read exactly the same. There was no difference in the ratio, and they were both significantly lower than when the drill ran the stock gauge.

FYI, it was these gauges:

Font Jewellery Circle Auto part Logo

from Gauges and Gauge Parts

Charles.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts