Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,248 Posts

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
According to Partzillla the forks for the GL500 and GL500I have different part numbers, however this may be due to different springing. The fork lower and tube are listed as fitting both the GL500 and the GL500I. I suspect they would therefore be the same length.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
The right fork lower will be different, at least, because the GL500 has a single caliper brake.
Aside from tank badges and stickers, I think the GL500 is identical to the GL500I without the luggage.
The CX forks will be shorter, but I don't know by what amount.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You find some answers to this, I'll add them to here...

Motofaction gives me 2 lengths for 81-82 gl from top of fork to axle center-no explanation. No info on cx custom length. all dia in 82 the same 35mm.
We need someone with tubes only to compare.
Thanks.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The right fork lower will be different, at least, because the GL500 has a single caliper brake.
Aside from tank badges and stickers, I think the GL500 is identical to the GL500I without the luggage.
The CX forks will be shorter, but I don't know by what amount.
Thanks, you know who is bugging me with questions-Does the same thing with his old HD
45 flathead. Maybe we will all learn a little.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
The FSM specs make no distinction in travel or air pressure.
The parts manual shows the same part number for the left fork. Within the fork assembly, the only differing part number is on the lower, the GL500I having mounts for the second caliper.

Randall

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The FSM specs make no distinction in travel or air pressure.
The parts manual shows the same part number for the left fork. Within the fork assembly, the only differing part number is on the lower, the GL500I having mounts for the second caliper.

Randall
[/QUOTE From what I have heard so far-82 gli-gl & cx custom same diameter. GLi &
GL same tubes but unanswered is difference in length between CX & the GL's tubes.
Still searching for that info.

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
I think the fork spacing might also be different. I know the axle assembly is different.

Randall

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hear are some measurements. As you can see the CX500 is a leading edge fork. The center to center width of a 82 CX500 sabot 6 3/4", the 81-82 GL500 is 7".
IMG_4218.JPG
IMG_4217.JPG
IMG_4219.JPG

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keith,
Good info-he is thinking of putting the dual disc 82 GLi front end on his 82 custom trike.
I suppose fork angle is another question.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
13,421 Posts
The leading axle forks will have less trail than the ones with the axle centred. Increased trail = greater steering stability on 2 wheels at speed but greater steering effort at low speed. On a 3 wheeler less trail is almost always better.

I would recommend measuring up the original forks carefully and heading to a wrecker to find a set of leading axle forks for 2 calipers that are compatible (I did that a few years ago to change my GoldWing's forks from centred axle to leading axle and reduce the trail for easier steering with the sidecar).

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
He should look for a CB900C front end. Dual disc, Reverse Comstar wheel, leading axle forks.

Randall

·
Super Moderator
13,421 Posts
As long as the length isn't too much longer that would work.

For my GoldWing I ended up with ones from a CB650SC and using parts from my original forks and a set from a CB750SC that I had on hand (all the same diameter) to build what I wanted.

·
Super Moderator
3,248 Posts
Hear are some measurements. As you can see the CX500 is a leading edge fork. The center to center width of a 82 CX500 sabot 6 3/4", the 81-82 GL500 is 7".
View attachment 200905 View attachment 200905 View attachment 200906 View attachment 200906 View attachment 200907 View attachment 200907
I have updated the chart with those figures - to confirm, the '82 CX500C with 35mm forks is 760mm fork top to axle center, and the '81-82GL500 Silverwing forks are 820mm from fork top to axle center?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts