Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not looking for one. Just wondering why it is such a "holy grail" of a part? Did a roving gang of bandits go around smashing them?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Gremlins steal them while you sleep... Or it was just the most common side cover to remove for service and so got broken or lost easily.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Currently, I am missing 2 of the 3 rubber grommets holding mine in place. Hopefully it won't fall off when on the road.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Saskatchewan repeatedly attempted to steal mine.

I don't know why.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Exactly. Nobody remove the other side so this side gets all the wear to the tabs and grommets thus is more prone to falling off on its own during a bump.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Saskatchewan repeatedly attempted to steal mine.

I don't know why.

I didn't have any trouble with Canadian roads, despite the Cassiar Hwy in BC (Don in Oz called it a goat track) & the Top of the World Hwy from Dalton City, YT to Chickan, Alaska. But the Haul road just north of the circle ate one of my fork lights!

At a motel along the Cassiar Hwy, we still had both lights.

This was further north on the Cassiar, that is wall to wall mud & the hill is steeper than it looks! The St was starting to lose a little traction.

The beginning of the Top of the World Highway. That is Dawson City, YT across the Yukon river. Thank goodness the climb out from the river and about the first 5 miles were paved, after that about 100 miles of gravel/mud.

Typical view along TOWH. This was in a pull-off. The road you see is not the main road, it just went out into the distance, who knows where?

So much for the pictures, sorry I got carried away. On that trip of 15,000+ miles the absolute worst road was in up state New York.

Gene

·
Registered
402 Posts
Currently, I am missing 2 of the 3 rubber grommets holding mine in place. Hopefully it won't fall off when on the road.

me too my uncle wrapped small pieces of gorilla tape around the holes and poked small new holes like grommits

they have worked awesome for 2 years it's worth a shot!

Reactions: LazerHead

·
Registered
105 Posts
Seriously,

You should be able to buy all the grommets you want for your bike at your local Honda dealer.

I paid about 3 bucks apiece and was worth every cent.

·
Registered
670 Posts

Assuming I can remove them from an old tank unharmed, I have two that you can have if you'd like. Just pass it forward.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I may have a few extra grommets at my "shop" that I could send someones way. Not quite sure though. Ill be there next week, so I can check.

·
Registered
810 Posts
me too my uncle wrapped small pieces of gorilla tape around the holes and poked small new holes like grommits

they have worked awesome for 2 years it's worth a shot!

That is a great idea! Had I not already ordered some I'd give that a try.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts