Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
20160909_160203_resized.jpg

20160909_170402_resized.jpg

I left home with an old aluminum canoe and a Yamaha kids acoustic guitar and came home with a CX650E that had been a yard ornamant for ALOT of years. The owner kept refering to the bike as "HER" (Christine, lol?). No title and the bike hasn't had a plate in it in 26 years...and that was from B.C. (which I live south of by not too far)...I did find paperwork from the B.C. owner. I have verbal information on two other owners here in my county before the guy I got it from.

This is going to be an adventure in alot if ways. I am going to do a...(get ready here comes the punchline), low budget cafe built this winter with the goals of
1. Getting mechanically sound.
2. Cleaning it up with polish paint and fit.
3. Looks and character.
(Did I mention low budget :money: )

I will be staying pretty original (with the exception of NASTY sounding exhaust, retro looking tank, seat, bars, lights, fork boots, and low profile 2 up seat) as I want it to somewhat parallel the looks of my 69 CL90 I just got back on the road).

The last owner got it running 5 or so years ago. Said there was no smoke and ran strong other than dirty carb issues from sitting.

I am so excited I can hardly contain myself...probably due to the fact I haven't turned a wrench yet and haven't found the inevitable underlying issues, lol.

·
Registered
272 Posts
NICE SCORE!

I'd trade an aluminum canoe and a toy guitar for a CX650 any day of the year. I look forward to updates.

Congrats.

-3Sport

·
Registered
76 Posts
if the rest of the bike is in the same condition as seat and fuel tank, this will be no "low budget" bike (appart from the price... :D this is awsome!)

but good luck and have fun with it :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
:victorious::victorious::victorious:
Could be zockerlein, the bike had been in a wreck somewhere along the line on the right side as the seat, tank, and pipe tell. I'll take my chances on it though, I can get pretty thrifty. Thanks for the good wishes.

Perfect time to get a project like this. Nice fall day, lots of bikes going by as Im getting firewood in today, thinking happy thoughts of my winter project....Next year I will be riding by some poor sap cutting firewood in the sunshine thinking "I should be getting mine in"...but also about how much fun I'm having on my cx650 cafe .:big smile:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am trying to do some investigative work on past ownership in Canada, It is not on the stolen list in the USA. As soon as that is done, I am thinking the first order of business before a big teardown and cleanup is putting a battery in it and checking the compression. Any thoughts or tips on this? The oil in the machine looks wonderful. 20160906_115646.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I have a few things for you
PM is coming your way

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,759 Posts
FWIW, my Eccles was in a lot worse shape than that when I got it (my tank was sound but the back wheel was bent) and i have put almost 90,000 Km on it over the last 10 years.....

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
That's a great trade, I've always loved that version of the cx and wish it was more common in the states.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Congrats on such a find. After cleaning the carbs, it should run. How about a video. I'm curious as to how those sound compared to a stock cx500c. Net it sounds like she wants to ride! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Any project is a good project! Great trade!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,759 Posts
With the same exhaust it wouldn't sound much different from a CX500. To put things in perspective, the main functional differences between the CX650E and the CX650C are mostly chassis. The E has shorter forks with TRAC, less rake, less trail (105mm vs 126mm) and 18" wheels at both ends with dual front discs & rear disc. The one & only difference between the engines is the logo plates screwed to the outside.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts