Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, sorry I know it looks like I'm posting question after question but I am dying to get my project finished.

I think the best way to explain it is that the right side runs consistently with a solid "thud" from the exhaust every moment whereas the left side is more of a "puff" with a backfire every fourth or fifth time. I have had my carbs ultrasonically cleaned, all the inlets checked for leaks, timings set up and valve clearances adjusted and I even borrowed a CDI from my friend over the weekend, yet the left side still feels "weaker" than the right hand side, it also smokes a lot more during startup, idling and revving. However i think (not 100% certain) that under higher rpm, there is no issue.... I am pretty much out of ideas at this point.

Any advice would be brilliant!

·
Super Moderator
23,113 Posts
When you first start the bike do both pipes heat up at the same rate?

Easiest first thing to test since you have already run a substitute CDI unit is to run the stator test. Run the whole test, but particular interest in the left low speed pickup.

Also, try swapping the plugs side to side, followed by the plug caps and then the coils themselves.

If nothing there it could be something with the left carb, likely a vlocked idle jet.

The ignition stuff is easiest to rule out if you can use a multimeter and swap a few components left to right. Text Font

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Swap coils and see if the problem follows?

This means fully swap,not just the leads.

If one's bad then get some cheap new ones.Use the forum search for links to cheap CDI coils.

·
Super Moderator
5,160 Posts
If you a running the stock H-box in the exhaust remember that there is no direct path from header to muffler.

Not my image, lifted from the web.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts