Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1981 CX500
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people. My 82 cx500 is a little confusing….the left cylinder is running at 190 lbs compared to 155 on the right . Any ideas on why the one it’s so abnormally high?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,891 Posts
Have you checked that your gauge is giving true readings?

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
428 Posts
Hmmmmmm.... interesting conclusion.

Perhaps the right cylinder's compression is abnormal.

What is the mileage on the bike? Maintenance history? Time in storage? Modifications?

What symptoms are driving you to check compression?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Did you hold the throttle wide open while doing the compression check? With all the variance you get between testers it is more important for the cylinders to be equal, which yours are not. If your throttle wasn’t held open while testing it could cause the difference in readings. What is the history with the bike? If it’s been laid up for multiple years it could also have stuck rings and according to cxphreak they usually fix themselves by riding them.

·
Super Moderator
24,023 Posts
Rich mixture or bad valve stem seals cause carbon buildup. Carbon buildup increases compression by displacement.

·
Registered
1981 CX500
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you checked that your gauge is giving true readings?
Yes, many times.
Rich mixture or bad valve stem seals cause carbon buildup. Carbon buildup increases compression by displacement.
I’m inclined to think that’s it. I may try introducing a carbon removing product through the sync port.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts