Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I've read through many of the threads on installing LED turn signals and I can't find one that addresses the problem I'm having. I purchased these turn signals:

4 x Motorcycle 12 LED Turn Signal Indicators Lights Light Universal New EP98 | eBay

as well as this flasher relay:

Buy Tridon (Novita Tech. Inc) Electronic Turn Signal Flasher EP34 at Advance Auto Parts

I removed the stock turn signals (all 4) and installed the new flasher relay, I connected the left front turn signal and with the blinker switch off, it was fully lit up (regular running light?). However, when I turned the blinker on, the LED light shut off, but the relay and the instrument cluster light blinked/clicked. What am I missing? I have a 1981 CX500C, my understanding was that with a new relay (non-thermal/non-mechanical), LED turn signals should work fine. I read on another thread in this forum that the flasher relay above should work fine and that no additional resistor's were needed.

Also - just a note - if I reverse the polarity of the wires on the LED signal, there's nothing - not even the running light - BUT with the polarity that turns the running lights on, the turn signal starts to heat up. This can't be good - my understanding (clearly flawed) was that LED produced VERY little heat.

PLEASE HELP! Any trouble shooting advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
You may also want to switch to the EP34L, the Ep34 is an electronic flasher but is not LED specific.
And the other problem may be that you have the turn signal wired into the running light and not the turn signal. Are the lights a dual purpose, meaning that it has 3 wires for the 2 front turn signals?
If its just a 2 wire turn signal then it doesnt have a running light function.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Raygrudier - how do i get a better ground? Wire the light directly to the frame? Do the same with the relay?

Kameron - the bulbs are dual filament, but there are two wires only. I'm still going to try to trace the wires back to make sure the signal wire is connected. If it doesnt have a running light function, whats causing the bulb to light up when the switch is off?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone know if the 1981 CX500C models had running lights? Both wires are brown, there doesn't seem to be a green ground wire up front. Is one brown the running light and the other the turn signal? If so, where is the ground? I don't see a 'red dashed' wire from either light per the wiring diagram.

btw - thank you all for your help! I've been stuck for a few days on this and the guys at napa, advance, and autozone have had no clue.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Your ground may be produced by the signal light bracket which
attaches to the frame (triple tree, shocks, etc.) which should be grounded.
Check the grounding points on the bike and make sure there is no rust at the connection point.
I think one grounding point is under the fuel tank toward the front rubber mounts and the other
is under the seat. At least that's where mine are for an 82 GL.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree with kameron. I'd bet money your hook into your running lights!! I had hell of time with theses too! Solid colors are for actual turn power. Ones with white strip are running lights and don't need to be hooked up. I also had to use resistors to get mine to turn but your flashers may take care of that problem.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
For a sanity check, here's what I know about the front wiring:

1. Solid orange wire - left front turn signal
2. Orange with white stripe - left front running light
3. Solid blue - right front turn signal
4. Blue with white stripe - right front running light
5. Ground is via chassis - no wire for this!
6. Front is wired for dual filament bulbs, one for running light, one for turn signal
7. Rear turn signals DO NOT have a running light function - one wire only to each unit.

If you've got four of the same LED lights, they almost surely are single-purpose turn signals (in fact, they look very much like what I've got on the rear end of my bike.)
If this is the case, at the front you would use only the solid blue (right) and solid orange (left) wire for the positive connection to the LED lights, and chassis ground. The blue/white and orange/white wires would not be used at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update: all the advice has been brilliant! Thank you all very much. I decided to keep the flasher (EP34) and rewire at first. Finding the turn signal wire and grounding the LED's worked perfectly :) Just to play around, I connected the running light hot wire with the turn signal hot wire to the LED red wire and then grounded the LED black wire - IT WORKED! I now have both the running lights and turn signals working. Here's where it vets strange - I assumed the rear lights were turn signal only, but when i wired them up, they stayed on like running lights. I tested the signal and as soon as i hit the switch, they started blinking perfectly!
Chilimac - I'm not sure how this works as you said there are no running lights on the rear, but I'm very happy with how this all turned out and don't plan on questioning it (for now)

Again, THANK YOU ALL!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts