Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 1980 CX Deluxe. Just put led blinkers on and upgraded blinker relay to an LED relay. I turn the ignition on and both sides light up, then I turn on left blinker and the left LED goes off. Same on other when switched to right blinker.

Do I have to buy special LED's that work in running light and blinking configuration, or do I have to do some wiring work? I don't really care about the running lights.

Has anyone run into same problem?

·
Registered
583 Posts
I got a 1980 CX Deluxe. Just put led blinkers on and upgraded blinker relay to an LED relay. I turn the ignition on and both sides light up, then I turn on left blinker and the left LED goes off. Same on other when switched to right blinker.

Do I have to buy special LED's that work in running light and blinking configuration, or do I have to do some wiring work? I don't really care about the running lights.

Has anyone run into same problem?
You need to make sure that the LEDs are dual contact

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...tion=DispPage&Page2Disp=/tail-brake-turn.html

·
Registered
40 Posts
If the lights have only 2 wires then they can only be running lights or turn signals,

unless you run a diode inline check here:

http://www.nicholsonfun.com/product...332&browse=276089&shopBy=10054&catalogId=1673

You will need one per light you may also need a resistor wired inline to trigger your relay if you are still running a stock one. I have these on my bike
they work great just be sure to solder them with butt connectors not crimp ons please.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the lights have only 2 wires then they can only be running lights or turn signals,

unless you run a diode inline check here:

http://www.nicholsonfun.com/product...332&browse=276089&shopBy=10054&catalogId=1673

You will need one per light you may also need a resistor wired inline to trigger your relay if you are still running a stock one. I have these on my bike
they work great just be sure to solder them with butt connectors not crimp ons please.

My LED turn signals have two wires. I don't care having running lights. What I don't understand is, that my led turn signals are not working....and I replaced the stock relay with an LED relay.

·
Registered
782 Posts
As I understand it you went from a stock flasher to a solid state? If it worked before it should work now. I'm using all LED signal lites and a solid state flasher too and had no problem at start up. Double check the flasher to make sure you have the correct one. In reality the solid state flasher module will handle bulbs or LEDs. The flasher should only have two terminals to connect to.

·
Registered
782 Posts
2nd thought, your front signals sound like they should be a two contact socket and using a two contact LED bukb.When you turn your key on the running lites come on (normal) and when you call for a signal lite to come on, the running lite goes off and a much brighter turn signal lite comes on (normal). It sounds like you have a wrong LED bulb in a dual contact socket. That makes you having running lites too. IMO

·
Registered
798 Posts
Your stock fronts would have had 3 wires. I turn signal, one riding light, and one ground. You are plugged in to the ground, and riding light. Switch the other one, and voila turn signals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts